No announcement yet.

Just bought my first Charvel.. (750XL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just bought my first Charvel.. (750XL)

Hey Sunbane, For your 750 you might want to consider a Duncan Custom as well, I find its much like a Distortion but with more bottom end/mid. Its a very hot versatile pickup. I haven't tried the Full shred yet but thats what I am getting in my custom in the neck position. As for the JB, I didn't much care for it. Its not bad way better than most stock pickups but it seemed very vanilla and generic. Thats the point I guess.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Thanks a lot for the pickup suggestions guys!

I'm thinking about going for DiMarzios though, I have yet to try out a DiMarzio equipped guitar that didn't sound fantastic. I have only tried Hot Rails from Seymour Duncan though and I hated that pickup =/ Might give the full-size pickups a try though.

I'd love to hear more about which pickups you've found best suitable for the 750XL though (or mahogany guitars in general).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 750XL and I have a Dimarzio PAF in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. They sound awesome. I've had a number of pickups in it and this is the best combo I've heard.

Comment

In my 750, I'm running a Duncan Alnico II pro in the neck and a Duncan Allan Holdsworth in the bridge (basically a double screw JB, warmer highs), sounds good to me.

Comment

Pinto79, I recently dropped a set of dimarzios into my 750xl and I have to agree...for lead wailing and heavy metal, they sound incredible.

My friends are hooked on EMGs, but man, I plug in this thing and it feels like I'm playing through a real guitar.

I also went with the super dist for the bridge, but an evo in the neck. Definately a top notch combination for heavy material, but also with the 5 way switch I can get some amazing cleans!

Comment

My 3 750xl's have the following pickup configurations:

DD/DD - shred machine, amazing riffing from the bridge and smooth shred leads from the neck

59/59 - great rock n' roll tone. Great cleans, very versatile. Sounds like a Les Paul but rocks harder.

CC/APH - The Custom/Custom is a very warm pickup with great harmonics. It's not shrill at all, very big mid spike which I love. The APH in the neck is a wicked smooth lead pickup. This might rival the DD/DD for my favorite combo in the 750xl.

Comment

I bought a DD from Noodles, and it definitely got me closer to that Chris Holmes tone that I wanted. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I thought it actually sounds similarly voiced to the EMG-85, but it distorts way differently. The EMG sounds like burning propane gas, while the Duncan sounds like burning oil. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The only drawback to the DD I've noticed so far, is a looser bottom end compared to the EMG. I need to back down on the bass in the EQ settings to keep it from muddying down. Oh yeah, it picks up more electrostatic noise too. I'm very happy with the purchase though. It sure feels refreshening to try something new.

Comment

There's a gorgeous one on EBAY right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-750XL-So...temZ7357638428

looks to be in exceptional shape.
                Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Saw that and I'm gonna try and grab that if I can move one of my other guitars. I can't just buy it cause I've got no money available in my guitar slush fund, but providing I can sell one of my others before the auction runs out, I'll make a go for it.

Comment

Nice. I could always use another trans red string thru. I could have two sets of twins! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But, I don't have the disposable income right now either. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Oh well, whenever I'm out of school for good and I'm making decent cash, I'll have the best 750xl collection around.

Comment

I got gas for that one as well. I could use a fixed bridge guitar. But I've bought enough guitars this year already. :P Too bad...the seller is shipping worldwide too. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey back away from that auction it all mine [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I saw it an just put a bid on it were I am getting the money I do not know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Travis if I win it you just might be able to do that in the future. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And if not it will be sold here not on Ebay.I know I am getting ahead of myself I have not even won it , just letting you know my plans.
                        Mike
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

All right, Mike. I'm rooting for ya. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Hey back away from that auction it all mine [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I saw it an just put a bid on it were I am getting the money I do not know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Travis if I win it you just might be able to do that in the future. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And if not it will be sold here not on Ebay.I know I am getting ahead of myself I have not even won it , just letting you know my plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">congrats Mike!!! and possibly you too travis...... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks Dave !! I had to go a bit higher than I wanted($20.00)to.But I was just not going let this go to carrguitar , had to outbid him.At least the quote I got for shipping was really cheap.
                              Mike
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

congrats beautiful guitar

Comment

Working...
                                X