Schaller vs Original Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller vs Original Floyd

I’m going to be replacing the JT-6 trem on my Model 2 with either an Original Floyd Rose or a Schaller Floyd. Everyone I’ve talked to always says to go with an OFR as the copies aren’t as good. I’ve been looking at the Schaller Floyd and I really like it’s specs and features, plus Schaller makes really good hardware. So, can anyone tell me why an OFR is really better than a Schaller? Also, can a Schaller fit into an JT-6 route or will it need some modification? I’ve been told the OFR fits the JT-6 route with no modifications, is this true for th Schaller as well? The Schaller looks to have a larger block than the OFR so I don’t know if that would pose a problem or not?

Cheers,

CJ

Re: Schaller vs Original Floyd

The Schaller Floyd is just as good as an OFR - just a little different. People generally say the OFR has more bite in its sound. This information is consistent with the sound I get out of my guitars, but then again my guitars have totally different tonewoods, etc.

On the OFR the whole baseplate is made of hardened steel, whereas the Schaller has a die-cast baseplate. The Schaller baseplate is a teensy bit wider than the OFR one (about 1 mm difference). It is also a bit thicker, and the knife edges are inserted into it. Then the Schaller lock screws are way shorter than those on the OFR, so there will probably be plenty of empty room in the butt end of the route if you go with Schaller. When measuring mine from the front end of the baseplate to the end of the D and G locking screws, the Schaller is shorter by almost half an inch.

I don't think you'd have much trouble fitting any of them in there, but I think the Schaller might look a bit out of place due to the shorter locking screws.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think you'd have much trouble fitting any of them in there, but I think the Schaller might look a bit out of place due to the shorter locking screws.

[/ QUOTE ] Model 2 isn't recessed, so no worries bro.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Cool, looks like I'm going with the Schaller, thanks very much for the help!!

Cheers,

CJ

Comment

Make sure you get a 42mm trem block. There are three different sizes (32mm, 37mm, and 42mm). You will need the tallest for your guitar.

Comment

Thanks very much for the tip!! Those are the kind of details that I need to know.

Cheers,

CJ

Comment

Welcome newb! I'd also recommend you fart around in the Tech section

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...t=0&Board=UBB7

Also maybe PM Newc, he's done lots of modding and trem switching.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Newc knows Krylon too...

Comment

Hell yeah he does. Newc and I are going into the Refinishing buisiness. We currently offer the Krylon Mystique finish for just under $200.
                  Its sort of like that paint that is 2-3 different colors depending on the light/angles. We use only the finest Krylon Mystique spray paint.

I do the prep excepty Huffing, Newc does the Huffing and spraying.

Comment

I would go with the OFR... the shorter mounting distance of the Schaller (1/16" shorter than a JT-6 or OFR) can cause intonation problems on some axes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X