Which Charvel to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Charvel to choose?

Well, one of my first posts - GREAT forum by the way!
    I need some help on picking a Charvel,as I'm looking to buy a used one..
    I'm on the lookout for one with active electronics,dual humbuckers,neckthru,sharkfins,neck-/headstockbinding and preferably floyd..Which models have been made with these features? I haven't really tried a guitar with kahler, what's the difference from a floyd?
    Yes, I know this turned out to be alot of questions, so any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks!
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Re: Which Charvel to choose?

It sounds like you want something similar to a Model 5 or Toothpaste logo equivalent. They don't have either sharkies or neck binding though.

I'll defer to TEKKY on this.

Comment

Is there a dual hum neckthru?

Comment

Model 5's and the 550's were dual hum neck-thrus.

Comment

Oh, yeah, forgot about those.

Comment

sharkfins aree on the mode 6 *BTW one of all time favs!)
            but those are H/S/S layouts not 2 hum. 750xl has 2 hum and reverse sharkfins. those are pretty bad ass!
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

The 750XL fits that description almost perfectly, but unlike the neck-thrus they are set neck (the joint looks and feels the same), short scale, and have a mahogany body with a maple arch top.

If that doesn't rock your boat, I can recommend going with a Model 6 or a 650XL, but put a singlecoil-sized humbucker in the neck position (like the Duncan hot rails). Those guitars are maple neck-thru with poplar wings. My Model 6 has an EMG 85/S combo, but I will probably switch out the singlecoil sooner or later, because it just isn't hot enough for me. I don't like middle position pickups either, so I just put an empty singlecoil cover there, that sits flush with the guitar body (out of the way).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Model 5's and the 550's were dual hum neck-thrus.

[/ QUOTE ]
                the 550 is hum/slant single.

I was going to suggest the 650XL, but from a post above, I guess they must be h-s-s?
                Hail yesterday

Comment

So I'd be easier off looking for a model 5 then? What's usually the pricerange on these?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I was going to suggest the 650XL, but from a post above, I guess they must be h-s-s?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Yes, they are essentially the same thing as a Model 6, but with a JT-590 and a pull-up route under the trem.

Comment

So the model 5 isn't routed for trem pull-ups?

Comment

Correct, but the trem isn't recessed either, so it's not really a problem. I can pull up one full step on both the Model 6 and the 750XL, and neither of them have a pull-up route under the trem. If you haven't played a guitar with a non-recessed trem before, it's a little similar to a Les Paul in that the bridge sits higher off the body, and the neck is mounted at an angle. I personally prefer this setup over a recessed trem, where the neck is parallel to the body.

All 650XL's that I've seen have non-recessed trems with an additional pull-up route. Some 750XL's have that setup too. I figure that would be nice if you want to pull up to the point of breaking strings. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If you go looking for a Model 5 or 6, be aware that they came with Kahlers during the first year of production (1986), and thereafter (87-88) they came with Jackson's JT-6 licenced Floyd.

Then (1989-1991) the Model series was replaced with the "toothpaste logo" Charvels (375/475/550/650, etc). Those guitars are very price worthy these days. They had the JT-590 Floyd, made by Schaller - which many people say is a better trem than the JT-6. I can testify that the JT-590 is a very good unit, but I have no personal experience with the JT-6 (my Model 6 had an OFR retrofitted when I bought it).

Comment

Allright, I know what you mean now..I used to have a Kramer with that kind of setup..Thanks! And I also used to own a 375 de luxe, which was a GREAT guitar, which I traded for a `95 Gibson Explorer - but I've realized what a great guitar the Charvel was, and I miss it..
                          Used Charvels aren't that hard to come by in Sweden, are they?

Comment

[/ QUOTE ]the 550 is hum/slant single.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is there a "toothpaste" logo Model 5 equivalent?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Used Charvels aren't that hard to come by in Sweden, are they?

[/ QUOTE ]
                              It varies. Two months ago, you couldn't visit a guitar site without tripping over old Charvels at really low prices. =) Right now there are very few, and the ones I've seen are way overpriced (some crackhead is even trying to sell a Model 4 for 11000 ($1300), claiming it is "rare"). There are two sites in particular that are worthwhile to check regularly - www.blocket.se and www.vendolin.se. A decently priced Model 6 can run anywhere between 5000-6000 swedish kronor. The Model 5 should go for a little less, and the 650XL a little more. There's a 375 in yellowed silver sparkle that has been advertised for ages at www.secondhandmusic.se, but it could have issues since it hasn't been moved in all this time.

The 750XL is almost impossible to find in Europe, so I believe it wasn't sold over here. I've seen one in cherry sunburst that was advertized on a local guitar forum though. There's a large community over at www.gmf.se that also could be worth investigating.

I hope you have luck in finding yourself a nice Charvel! =)

Comment

Working...
                              X