Model A Pickup Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A Pickup Swap

Has anyone swapped out the pups on a Model A? Well, I'm sure someone has, but would people who have care to share the results? What pups did you put in? How does the guitar sound? Any pups excel? Any pups sound terrible? For what I do (Matchbox 20-ish sounding to Foo Fighters-ish sounding) I think the Live Wires are too limiting and its a question of swapping out the pups or using a different guitar altogether. Any information, advice, experience would be appreciated.

Re: Model A Pickup Swap

I agree they are to limiting. You're limited to flame-throwing sound only. I'd like to swap them myself but have too many other things going on at the moment. Let me know how it goes.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Has anyone swapped out the pups on a Model A? Well, I'm sure someone has, but would people who have care to share the results? What pups did you put in? How does the guitar sound? Any pups excel? Any pups sound terrible? For what I do (Matchbox 20-ish sounding to Foo Fighters-ish sounding) I think the Live Wires are too limiting and its a question of swapping out the pups or using a different guitar altogether. Any information, advice, experience would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert with Matchbox 20 or Foo Fighters, but are the FF playing 335's in their videos? If so, I'd go for a more PAF style of pickup. There are so many PAF style pickups out there, I wouldn't know were to begin, but I like my Gibsons.

Comment

I am replacing the PuPs in my Model A with a Dimarzio Super Distortion & Super II. The same setup I have in my SLS. They sound incredible in the all mahogany SLS.

Just waiting on the Super II.

Comment

having seen FF in concert twice in the last two months, I can tell you they use all stock Gibsons (mostly ES's and a Firebird custom for Chris, and Firebird Studios for Dave) through I believe Marshalls with a number of effects depending on the song, the sound is a blistering killer tone, they are way heavier live than on the records. I have seen them several times and their tone and sound quality this tour was incredible, noticably better than in the past.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            having seen FF in concert twice in the last two months, I can tell you they use all stock Gibsons (mostly ES's and a Firebird custom for Chris, and Firebird Studios for Dave) through I believe Marshalls with a number of effects depending on the song, the sound is a blistering killer tone, they are way heavier live than on the records. I have seen them several times and their tone and sound quality this tour was incredible, noticably better than in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup dave pretty muches uses a firebird studio the whole time, they usually use mesa boogie roadkings and that is how they get that nice heavy sound.

I would say go for a super distortion or a SD custom should get you in that area, the 498's in the firebird are around that area.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Yup dave pretty muches uses a firebird studio the whole time, they usually use mesa boogie roadkings and that is how they get that nice heavy sound.

[/ QUOTE ]
              ah, mesa boogie. that's the deal. they have their amps covered up by the design of their set, so they aren't visible on this tour. what they have behind them is designed to look like a jumbled stack of every kind of old amp cabinet, it looks really cool.

I love Dave's black FB studio, that is such a killer axe.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Keep 'em comming.

So far I'm focusing in on the SD CustomCustom for the bridge and the Alnico 2 pro for the neck. I'm thinking those should be hot enought to get me a good distortion sound, but should also clean up well to give me more versatility.

Any thoughts on how that combo might sound in a Model A?

Also thinking about the Rio Grande BBQ/Texas combo - any insight on whether those might work well in the Model A?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I am replacing the PuPs in my Model A with a Dimarzio Super Distortion & Super II. The same setup I have in my SLS. They sound incredible in the all mahogany SLS.

Just waiting on the Super II.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds cool. I did a little reading up on those after reading your post. I hope you'll post back after you do the swap and let us know the results!

Can those pups clean up, or are they pretty much a metal pickup?

Comment

I had one, and swapped out the live wires for many different pickups... Dimarzio Super D, and Tone Zone in the bridge, and a PAF Pro in the neck. I liked the Tone Zone better than the Super D, but for some reason, the guitar always sounded like the tone knob needed to be turned up even when it was. I did the wiring the first time around, and had a "pro" do it the second... same results. I don't know if it was the wood or what. Eventually I sold the guitar. Your results may vary.

For what it's worth, I would suggest something that sounds "glassy" and has a treble/high mid spike. Both Duncan and Dimarzio have pretty good explainations on their sites.

Comment

Yeah, FF were just on SNL and they had a buttload of mesa cabs onstage. Dave had the black firebird and the other guy had a LP junior and then some es type thing. Dave had been using one of those plastic see-through deals last year for the live stuff. Their new stuff is a bit rough and screamy for me these days. Not as melodic as their earlier stuff. But Im 41 so I guess Im and old fart. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X