Model 4 fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 fretboard

(I wasn't sure whether or not this belongs in the Tech section. Sorry if it's in the wrong place)

Anyway, I have a Model 4 and the fretboard just doesn't feel right. There's a lot of resistance when I slide my fingers up the board. Basically it slows me down (although I'm not exactly lightning quick... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] )

But something definately isn't right. At first I thought it could just need new strings but that wasn't the case so now I'm think that the frets need cleaning and polishing?

Is this easy to do? Shall I get a pro to do it?

Compared to my 4 year old Squier it's definately 'slower' [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Model 4 fretboard

you could also get some lemon oil and clean up the fretboard with that. It'll clear the dirt and the wood will also feel fresher and slicker. Try also 'fastfret' - thats quite good for lubricating things so u can glide easier - remember the fretboard is nearly 20 years old and may not have had the tender loving care it deserves [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If the frets seems corroded, take off the strings, and get some electrical tape and steel wool, start at one end, put tape on each side of a fret to protect the fretboard, and take the steel wool and polish the frets wiping/scrubbing back and forth on the fret. Go fret by fret moving the tape as you go till you get them all.

When you're done, dress the fretboard down with some lemon oil and let it soak in a bit and wipe it dry.

I found the model guitars have a lot of finish on the backs of the necks and I personally I hate that. I steel wool the back of the neck till it is close to bare wood. That speeds the neck up a lot to me.

Others may have different opinions... So, wiat and see what people say...

Comment

0000 or any fine steel wool will work wonders.If its a maple board you don't need to tape it off.Ebony as well.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I found the model guitars have a lot of finish on the backs of the necks and I personally I hate that.

[/ QUOTE ]
          good advice on the fretboard upkeep bro. I was going to say that my 86 Model 2 has a satin finish on the back of the neck, and it's perfect (for me). it is not glossy and all and my thumb slides easily up and down. did the later Models have more neck finish on them? cause mine has very little finish and it's no problem at all. course I'm no shredder either... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
          X