Model 7 Project: Comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 7 Project: Comments?

I have a used Charvel Model 7 that I bought about five or six years ago. I think I paid about US$120 for it. You can see a picture of it here (the guitar on the right is my Fender Showmaster Celtic H):

The bridge pickup was replaced by the original owner with what I believe is a Hot Rails. A look at the body cavity indicates that he hadn't done a lot of wiring work before. He had also filed down the nut so I had to have a luthier install a bone nut. At that point the luthier informed me that there is a slight twist in the neck towards the headstock that causes some fret buzzing and intonation issues. The previous owner also crudely repainted it blue, painting with a brush right over the original hot pink finish.

Here's what I want to do: I want to strip the guitar down to the wood and repaint it. I would like to get a SRV-style sound out of it, so I thought about putting Fender Texas Special Tele pickups in it. Is it safe to assume that those pickups are the same dimensions as the stock Jacksons?

The biggest part is going to be a new neck. A Warmoth with a maple fretboard, reverse-swept Jackson-style headstock, a graphite nut, and a satin finish will set me back $268. I could save $75 by not getting it finished and just tung-oiling it myself, although I'm not sure if a tung-oiled fretboard is wise or not. From another post in this forum, it seems that a Warmoth neck should just bolt right on, although there would be a very slight gap around the pocket.

I'm looking for any input anyone might have. Thanks for your time!

Matt

Re: Model 7 Project: Comments?

As far as the paint goes, the original finish was poly, so with the right paint remover it may be possible to get rid of just the crappy brushed-on paint without damaging the poly. Who knows? Maybe the old finish was nice & the previous owner was just nuts. There should also be body binding under there, too. Keep that in mind if you sand. As far as the neck goes, those are pretty highly sought-after and you may be able to find a buyer willing to try to rehab it. Put it on eBay with full disclosure about the twist & I bet it will still sell.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      As far as the paint goes, the original finish was poly, so with the right paint remover it may be possible to get rid of just the crappy brushed-on paint without damaging the poly. Who knows? Maybe the old finish was nice & the previous owner was just nuts. There should also be body binding under there, too. Keep that in mind if you sand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem there is that the only thing that might be worse than a sloppy blue finish is a semi-decent hot pink one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Although you can't see it in the picture above, he did manage to protect the binding. It is visible and in good shape.

Comment

You could sell it to me for $125, and make a crisp Abe Lincoln!

I like the blue, but you said that it wasn't done very well. I think you'd be fine with the pickups (although, I would put an HB in the bridge and set the volume up for coil tapping).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Comment

Hmmmm I could buy that neck since it's twisted hehehe.

Comment

I found a picture showing what my guitar originally looked like! Yes, it's another pink Model 7.

I also thought of a few more questions:
            1) If I understood another post here from Tekky correctly, the Model 7 was only made in 1988. Is that correct? What was the original MSRP? I found prices on here for about all of the other Model series.
            2) Has anyone tried to refinish one of these things? Is it particularly hard to get the original finish off?
            3) Is it actually possible to "untwist" a neck? Would it require something like a complete refretting?

Thanks

Comment

I haven't seen a pricelist with the Model 7, but the Legend (toothpste logo successor to the Model 7) listed for $599.95 - 639.95 in '89. IIRC, Sully posted quite a bit of info in the tech section about his work on twisted necks. Those threads were from maybe a year & a half ago, I think.

Comment

with a twisted neck, you have to consider the cost of the work/materials against a new neck. economically unless I'm missing something, you are better off just replacing that.

I would try to get another Charvel neck for it, regardless of what it came off of. they are magical necks.

Warmoth necks are great, I have one, and love it, but I don't know that I'd want that gap at the base. I guess I'd have to see one to know for certain. maybe it is really no big deal, and in that case, Warmoth makes a good product in my experience.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

and those pink guitars look awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

very cool guitars.....good luck and keep up the work !

Comment

Working...
                    X