Jacksons similar to Charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksons similar to Charvels?

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum the first time. Do the Jackson guys tend to stick to Jacksons only, or do I just need to be more patient? [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#621071

Re: Jacksons similar to Charvels?

I'll try to answer your question from that thread the best I can. First off, keep in mind that the Model 4 had a full-size strat body & the only Jacksons with full-sized bodies that I know of were USA strats from the '80s. The closest import Jacksons to the model 4 & 6 would be the various Dinky & Soloist Pro models they began producing in the early '90s. The earliest ones were actually higher quality in that they had ebony fretboards, better hardware & were built to USA specs. Features of these guitars were more close to toothpaste-logo Charvels like the 475 & 650XL than the Model Series, especially the JT-590 trem & the switching. Differences to the Model 4 & 6 were that they started recessing the trems and they used a 5-way switch instead of the 3 mini-toggles. They later introduced XL models with rosewood fretboards. As time went on, the build quality & hardware on import Soloists & Dinkys was cut, supposedly because sales of USA guitars was hurt. I don't know much about the newer imports like the SL-3 & the DK-2 except that they are pretty good guitars. Some don't care for the plastic inlays & JT-580LP trem, though I think it sure beats the old JT-6. Hope this helps a little & I didn't mess up the info too badly. This is yet another case where I would have pointed you to the catalog section over at Jacksonmuseum if that were still available.

Comment

Hi dg,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Very helpful! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Giles

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        First off, keep in mind that the Model 4 had a full-size strat body & the only Jacksons with full-sized bodies that I know of were USA strats from the '80s.

[/ QUOTE ]
        The JRS1 & 2 are the exceptions that spring to mind. Full size bodied Jacksons from the 90s. Can't recall if there are others.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

The 650xl is the updated version of the Model 6. It has a 5 way switch instead of the 3 mini toggles, Schaller bridge instead of the JT-6, toothpast logo and matching headstock. The 650xl and the early 90's Jackson Soloist Pro are the same guitar except for the ebony fretboard. I don't believe there is a Jackson equivalent to the Model 4. The only similar guitars are the ones that were mentioned previously.

Comment

Working...
          X