My working on my Avenger questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My working on my Avenger questions thread

I picked up a Charvel Avenger, my firct J/C after years of day-dreaming, a couple of weeks ago at a local pawn shop (as detailed >here<).

It sat there for a decade so it really needs some TLC, so I figured I'd need an on-going thread to pick the collective JCF brain while I work on it. I'm really inexperienced with working on guitars, beyond (badly) repainting my old POS Holiday guitar years ago, so bare with me. I've got it partly disassembled to clean all the crud out of it and haven't broken anything so far. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My first question is concerning the nut. It's missing a couple of the blocks/screws - are these pretty much universal fit? I found online that to replace the whole nut you have to take it off and find the R number (R1,R2,etc.) on the back, mine says R2/4 so I got confused.

Also, what's up with a single-locking Floyd? I never knew there was such an animal before buying this guitar. Am I going to be unhappy with it? I'm guessing since there's nothing to lock the strings on that end the ball-ends stay on? If it turns out I don't like it, will an OFR fit?

Thanks guys. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    |My CSG gallery|
    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Re: My working on my Avenger questions thread

Best place on earth for string lock parts...

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/
    Yes,the balls stay on the ends of the strings,and I can't remember the last time I saw one of those...

As for compatability to the OFR,I'll defer to the more qualified for that answer...
    Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Not sure about an OFR, but the JT-590 should swap in without a hiccup.

Comment

I removed the rust and painted the screw heads, as well as cleaned all the crap out of the body. I also took some really fine steel wool to the fingerboard and frets to de-crudify them. I figured out that the bridge pickup that's in it is a Seymour-Duncan Invader (installed via wood butchery), but the allen heads on it were all rusty. I took the rust off of 'em, but I'm guessing painting them would pbly screw up the sound? One other thing I noticed is that one of the posts for the trem is a bit loose. Is that a big deal, and if so is there an easy fix?
        |My CSG gallery|
        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Paint won't screw up the sound, at least it hasn't made a difference when I tried it. I used brass colored paint on a few humbuckers pole pieces, made a huge difference in how it looks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            One other thing I noticed is that one of the posts for the trem is a bit loose. Is that a big deal, and if so is there an easy fix?

[/ QUOTE ]
            If it's just the post that is rocking in the insert, you can wrap some teflon tape (plumber's tape) around it and screw it back in.

However, it could also be that the bushing that the trem post goes into sits loosely in the bodywood. If that is case, pull the bushing out (if it is loose it should come right out). Inspect the wood inside the hole. If you can see cracks in the wood, you have a rather major problem and would probably need to consult a luthier (Sully or Ace) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. If there are no cracks, you can just apply a little wood glue with a match to the inner walls of the hole and push the bushing back in. Carefully wipe off any excess glue and make sure you don't get any inside the bushing. Then do not mount the bridge until you've let the guitar sit for a day or so.

I've had the problem with loose bushings on two of my guitars, and it manifested itself as odd tuning problems.

Comment

Ah, so it is something to worry about then. It's actually loose in both ways; it wiggles inside the insert but the whole things is loose as well. I can't see any cracks, but it did pull right out. So I guess I'll pick up some wood glue and dig out the teflon tape.

I'm glad to hear that about the pole pieces, i wasn't looking forward to watching them rust up again - but when I saw on SD's site that they were 'black-oxided' I assumed they didn't use paint for a reason. I over-think things sometimes. lol
              |My CSG gallery|
              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I've also used flat black on those Invader pole pieces with no ill effect whatsoever.

Comment

I have used a little wire wheel on my dremel tool to remove rust, they shouldnt rust up again unless you store it outside or in your garage. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    ...unless you store it outside or in your garage. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Or in a pawn shop for a decade apparently.

I'm still trying to make up my mind whether I'd rather mask and spray the pole pieces or just brush on some model paint. I can say that steel wool on magnetic stuff isn't the best plan. :P
                    |My CSG gallery|
                    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Update: I got her put back together last night (thanks Dave). Having never messed with a floyd before it took me quite a while to get it tuned, then when I did get it tuned I realized the trem was tilted way forwards. Through trial and error and reading stuff here and elsewhere I figured it out and got her all tuned up and the trem almost perfectly level. Played great, though it feels like the fretboard should be wider. Other than that it feels really comfortable and didn't have any buzzing issues. My tuner did meet an untimely end when I went back to check the intonation and it wouldn't do anything but blink the same light at me. grr
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Congratulations on getting her back in playable condition!

Pics please!!!
                        Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Well, she's not really much to look at with all the paint chips, scratches and hum-route gouging but I'll see if I can get her to pose anyway. I also didn't get the schweet pickup ring I got from Dave put on, 'cause the screw holes didn't line up and it exposed a bit more of the route-gouging on the sides than the SD ring. So I guess I'll be doing some filling and reshaping when repaint time comes around.

On that note tho my bro's airbrush-shop-having buddy (who's supposed to be "as good as any of those guys on TV") said he'll paint her up for me in exchange for building a website for his shop. I'm thinking I'll have him do the blood splatter design I posted over in the 'Fun w/ CSG' thread. So I'll definately need some before pics. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          |My CSG gallery|
                          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Working...
                          X