No announcement yet.

Charvel 475DLX, f-cked up in transit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel 475DLX, f-cked up in transit.

DonP, I agree. The J50BC seems to sound pretty good when playing some rock stuff for example. For metal, it really lacks output in my opinion. Or maybe I'm just used to massively high output pickups, having a Lawrence L-500XL on one of my Jacksons and a set of reflex pickups with active circuitry on my Rhoads. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mogar, I'm not sure what I will do with the J50BC. I might swap it out of the Charvel, but I won't necessarily part with it. Hell, I don't even know if I'll have the Charvel in the future. It all depends on how the insurance thing goes.

Jackson-Charvel, that sounds pretty ugly. I really hope this turns out ok for me. And good luck with your claim! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    -Janne

Comment

Hello- I had a crack in the headstock of my DKMG that went through the low E string tuner hole, through the screw hole for the tuner, in a line diagonal across the corner of the headstock . It went through the wood all the way to, but did not crack the veneer on the top of the headstock. The lutier I took it too said he could repair it and it would be barely noticeable and strong as new, or he could repair it so you couldn't even see it at all. The latter was much more expensive so I went with the former. The crack is barely noticable and it wasn't very expensive. Only difference is yours goes through to the top of the headstock. Anyway I think it can be repaired and look very nice. Thats a killer guitar. If it were me I'd keep it, get an insurance settlement, and then get it repaired. Sorry for your troubles.
      Karl

Comment

I received price quotes for the repair from various luthiers, and price range was anything from 150 euros to 500 euros (the latter being pretty ridiculous imo). I quess it rises the price dramatically if I want the luthier to fix the front of the headstock as well as the back so that the crack won't show.
        -Janne

Comment

Do it yourself or buy a used neck. That's too much money if all the other missing stuff is true. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I received price quotes for the repair from various luthiers, and price range was anything from 150 euros to 500 euros (the latter being pretty ridiculous imo). I quess it rises the price dramatically if I want the luthier to fix the front of the headstock as well as the back so that the crack won't show.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds really high to me. Although I got some crazy quotes when I got mine fixed. When he fixed mine it basically involved removing the hardware and injecting an epoxy (maybe super glue, I don't remember) into the crack and rigging up some clamps to hold it tight as possible till it dried. The results were very good. You will be able to see the line of the crack, particularly I'm guessing on the front of headstock on yours but it's not going to be glaring. The guy fixed mine for @$40 or I would have done it myself.
            Good luck
            Karl

Comment

I feel for you, I had this happen to me a while back. Good luck.
              -Sol

Comment

Man that sucks...had that happen to me a few months ago..

Comment

Soltan, that's major. Makes me think I might've been a bit lucky with mine after all. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I agree with the quotes being a bit high. I quess they include the cosmetic touch up to some extent. I would imagine just glueing the crack wouldn't cost that much...we'll see how it goes. If the claim goes through and they compensate their screw up I think I'll give the job to a pro. I don't want to screw it up more than it already is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  -Janne

Comment

I just got the decision regarding my claim. And it turns out they calculate the compensation amount based on the weight of the shipment. And that is [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                    I get 100 euros for my 5,5kg guitar. Maybe Alfonso should've added a few kg's of rocks into the package just in case. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I won't settle for this. I'll call the handler tomorrow and give him a peace of my mind. I mean the shipment was insured for full value for god's sake! [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
                    -Janne

Comment

They're real bastards. I declared 350 euros as the value of the parcel's contents when I filled the form. I'll try to phone the Spanish Post Service tomorrow and see what they tell me.

Comment

Do it yourself. I did one on a 650 Xl that had a low E tuner tip and some binding cracked off with a bit of Gorilla glue. With that type of glue, it'll expand as it sets and dries so I had to use a light film and make sure it didn't seep outside the seam. I made sure the pieces were tight while drying but be careful of overtightening if you use a clamp setup.

Comment

Alfonso, I really apreaciate your help on this matter. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

charvelguy, yeah, the repair job itself should be pretty easy to do; some proper glue and clamps with a lot of patience should do the trick. This tutorial seems really helpful: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm
                          -Janne

Comment

Working...
                          X