All About Import Charvel Necks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All About Import Charvel Necks!

I know I have asked a ton of questions so I decided to post all the info I have gathered in case others out there need to know. The reason I gathered the info is because I am having USA Custom make me a neck for a Charvel I have so if anyone else wants to get a replacement neck, here are all the important measurements from the top to the bottom:

Tuner holes: 13/32" or 10mm (this is the Gotoh size, Jackson tuners are actually Gotoh tuners with the Jackson name on them)

Nut Width: Majority of Import Necks are 1 5/8"

Neck Radius: The Import radius is a compound of 12-16. If you want a neck with a Floyd Rose Nut you are going to have to get a top radius of 10" (10" is recommended for the entire neck if you put an original Floyd on but a bottom radius up to 16 will work) unless you put a lock nut behind a regular nut which you can get from Kahler http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_Pages/Stringlocks.htm

Fret Wire: The closest Fret Wire on the imports is Dunlop 6100 (around 011w x .05h)

Heel Width: This is the most important. I have found a lot of sites saying that the heel should be 2.25 but it is actually 2.22. Believe it or not that .03 makes a difference. USA Custom will make it the actual 2.22 for you. This will fit perfectly if you get a satin finish. If you get a gloss finish you might want to see if you can get it a little smaller so the added gloss finish will make up the difference.

If I left anything out feel free to ask and if I made any errors feel free to correct me.
    Thanks to everyone for all their help and stay tuned for all my tremolo info.

Re: All About Import Charvel Necks!

I don't get what you're saying about the fretboard radius. In my experience, the nut (not lock behind the nut) has been radiused to 12, and as such only the bridge needs to be shimmed up to 16 if you're picky. I've used a JT6 (14" radius...?) on a model 4 and got very low action without problems, it's not that big of a deal. If you want an OFR though it's true shimming most likely would be needed for a perfectly playable neck. But the nut radius should be 12" always I believe.

Comment

Are you sure the nut width is not 1 11/16" on the import Charvel necks?

Comment

I spoke with someone at Floyd rose and they said all nuts are a 10" radius
        Also, I have 3 Import Charvels and, like I said, the majority are 1 5/8 nut. I am sure there are some with a 1 11/16

Comment

<font color="aqua">Interesting, I have had over 10 Model Series Import Charvels, and none of them have been 1-5/8ths as they've all been 1-11/16ths. What Model Charvels is it that you own specifically? </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Mine are all 1 11/16" at the nut. Model 3, Model 6, Model 7, 750XL. The Model 3 has exactly a 2 1/4" heel & the Model 7 is maybe 1 or 2 hundredths shy of 2 1/4" and there is about a 1 or 2 hundredths gap between the heel and the edge of the pocket. It's definitely a 2 1/4" pocket.

Comment

My Fusion Special is 1 11/16" at the nut..

Comment

All import "model" series were 1 11/16" nut and 2 1/4" heel.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                X