Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model A Plus

Hi!

I am a new guy and I have been guitar player since mid eighties. Right now I am shopping for a new guitar and a friend of an friend who lives quite a distance from i live is offering his axe which is an Charvel Model A Plus. It has a duncan Seymore Humbucker, and pair of D.S. single coils as well. It has an feature I like, 24 fret neck, so am kind of tempting. the body looks awesome, sort of flamed maghogny. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

But i know nothing about the guitar, so I need a bit help on where they where built and price range.

Re: Charvel Model A Plus

It's not duncan seymore.It's Seymour Duncan.
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Built in Japan. You should be able to get one on eBay for about $500 or thereabouts. I used to have a Traditional, which is about the same guitar with 22 frets instead of 24. Very nice guitars. You might also consider looking into the new DK2s since they now have black hardware and USA SDs. Unless all you play is metal, I'd stay away from the Model A (livewire metal pups) ... like you said, get the Model A Plus.
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Thanks! I was affraid of that the axe would be Korean or made. No bad thing about korean i have played on few that was suprisingly nice. But it ias allway a question of prices and all that. At least i know pretty much I will be able to pay for it. Thanks again!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It's not duncan seymore.It's Seymour Duncan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez - you sure are helpful! Cut him some slack - I'm sure your Swedish is just as good as his English, right? [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

The Model A Plus is a great guitar, an example of some of the best-built Japan guitars. With the ebony fingerboard and USA Duncans and mahogony body/maple cap, it feels and looks like a usa built guitar. I have one and it's great.

Here's some reviews on Harmony-Central: CLICK HERE!

Comment

Do we really want to refer people to Harmony Central? Do we, the Charvel Jackson enthusiasts really trust what is said on that site? Maybe I'm being a bit PRO-JCF, but from what I've read on that site and how their members conduct themselves, I'd really rather wait a little bit to get a more informed opinion from the members here.

I'm not trying to pick on MountainDog. And again, maybe I'm carrying the flag for this site a bit too much, but I guess it's all subjective.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Do we really want to refer people to Harmony Central? Do we, the Charvel Jackson enthusiasts really trust what is said on that site? Maybe I'm being a bit PRO-JCF, but from what I've read on that site and how their members conduct themselves, I'd really rather wait a little bit to get a more informed opinion from the members here.

I'm not trying to pick on MountainDog. And again, maybe I'm carrying the flag for this site a bit too much, but I guess it's all subjective.

[/ QUOTE ]
                I would second your opinion. HC reviews can be useful, but you have to sift through a lot of bull to get at the good ones. I put on my critic's goggles when reading HC reviews, and I usually ignore those that are 1) totally negative, 2) totally positive, and 3) have lots of spelling errors.

When I was looking for info on the Euro-X series Jacksons, I went to HC and made a list of specs of the guitars from each review. I think each guitar model was listed as having a different tone wood in each review. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...which proves that when some people don't have a clue, they'll just make something up and list it as fact. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Sorry for the off-topic comment.

Comment

Sounds like the A+ Pro model

with the SD Hot rails and Cool rails. My son has had one for a couple years I got for him when they were clearing them out at AMS I think.

I picked up a new (in the box)22 fret Traditional model a few months back off e-bay for under $250.....thats a steal even if I do end up having to replace the scratchy pots in a little.

I don't know why they Charvels never sold well (maybe they were too high base price) but for what you can snag them on e-bay for sometimes, they're great.

Comment

Re: Sounds like the A+ Pro model

[ QUOTE ]
                    Do we really want to refer people to Harmony Central?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tekky, You'll note I gave the Model A+ high marks, and if you clicked the link to Harmony-Central, the three reviews all gave the Model A+ a "10" in sound, which is why I posted that link.

You guys are correct that you can't read H/C reviews verbatim, you have to weed thru the comments and figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't, however when I post a H/C link, I've kinda filtered through it ahead of time. So best to think of H/C as a guideline in order to help you make an intelligent decision.

Granted, there are a lot of reviews done by newbies or unknowlegable people, and those are usually done on Epiphones and Squiers and sub-$300 guitars. The higher cost guitars seem to have much more accurate reviews.

In fact, H/C influenced my purchases of Ibanez RGA121 & RGT3120, Carvin CT4T, Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash, and USA Washburn Sonic, and for those guitars the reviews were practically spot on!

Comment

Re: Sounds like the A+ Pro model

No offense, but I didn't bother going to the Harmony Central link. Too much has been said here about that site that I just don't bother anymore.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by kp59 View Post
                        with the SD Hot rails and Cool rails. My son has had one for a couple years I got for him when they were clearing them out at AMS I think.

I picked up a new (in the box)22 fret Traditional model a few months back off e-bay for under $250.....thats a steal even if I do end up having to replace the scratchy pots in a little.

I don't know why they Charvels never sold well (maybe they were too high base price) but for what you can snag them on e-bay for sometimes, they're great.
                        I have a Charvel traditional that is a blast to play!

Comment

Wow Phil, digging deep in the archives are we

Comment

Stinkin' Charvels and Jacksons are like an occult. The 1st charvel I got was a charvel traditional. I liked it so much I bought a SL2H, Then I bought a Model A, Then I bought a JJP. My Martin and Ovation havent seen much action since.

Comment

Yeah, I am right there with you. It started when I was around 14. I played an import Charvel (475 deluxe) which I later purchased (and still own). There is no known cure for this obsession.. the only way to stop, is to die... And that is a bit too morbid at this point in my life. Though, I am pretty sure I would stab someone in the neck for one of those beautiful SD reissues from '95-'96.

Comment

Working...
                              X