JT-6 string clamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-6 string clamps?

Probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I just picked up an '87 Model 4 and I believe it has the JT-6 trem. How the heck do I release the string clamps at the bridge? It looks like the little square things should pop up towards the pickup side. Is that right? I tried to pry one up and it didn't budge. I don't want to break it! Any tips?

Thanks for your help!

Re: JT-6 string clamps?

There is an allen screw that runs though each fine-tuner and tightens against the lock block. Loosen the allen screw, then the lock block will lift staight out. You don't need to lift it out, though. It will loosen enough to release the string & allow you to put the new one in. One word of caution: The JT-6 screws are notorious for being soft & easy to strip out, so don't overtighten them or you'll be looking for replacements. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

DG - thanks for the quick reply! You are exactly right. I didn't notice those inner allen screws. Glad I didn't try to pry the tabs up too hard. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks also for the tip of tightening. I will make sure I don't crank them down too far.

Comment

Wow, what a great idea! Imagine if those were tabs you could just pop up, remove the old string, insert the new, and pop 'em back down!! Would that be way cool or what?
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

OK, if you decide to patent my idea, please give me 40% of the profits. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X