Model 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5?

Are the model 5 any good, and how muck are they worth? Hows the neck on them and what do the Jackson active pups sound in it? Are they anything like the EMG's?

[img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    1986 Model 5 with Kahler
    RH100 Randall head
    4x12 cabinet with Eminence Blue Tick Hound speakers

Re: Model 5?

I don't own one, but since I have a model 6, I'd feel confident in saying "yes, they're good". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The neck would probably be thicker than most Jackson bolt-on guitars.

The original pups aren't in fact active - they are passive pups, but the guitar has an active pre-amp in it. They sound nothing like EMGs at all.

Comment

To clarify on the pre-amp in the guitar: It has an active circuit in the wiring, giving you a 6dB Midboost. This ofcourse, requieres 1 battery like with EMG's, but you retain the natural sound of passive pickups and wood with this system.

Comment

Great guitars. Built like a tank. I have an all original '86. I can only compare the Jackson PUPS with the EMG 81 in my RR and I agree with Sunbane; they sound nothing alike. The EMG has a tighter bass response, but I like the original PUPS alot.

Comment

Which Jackson pups does the model 5 have?

Comment

J-80C in both positions.

Comment

This is a neck through guitar, and what wood is the body?
              1986 Model 5 with Kahler
              RH100 Randall head

Comment

Maple neck, poplar wings.

Comment

poplar wings?
                  1986 Model 5 with Kahler
                  RH100 Randall head

Comment

How is the neck on this bad boy
                    1986 Model 5 with Kahler
                    RH100 Randall head

Comment

how much does a model 5 with a kahler bridge go for used, in very good condition?
                      1986 Model 5 with Kahler
                      RH100 Randall head

Comment

"poplar wings?"

Neck-through construction, so the center section of the body is a continuation of the maple neck. "Wings" is the term for the pieces of wood glued to either side of the neck to make up the rest of the body.

"How is the neck on this bad boy"

I haven't played a Model 5, but my Model 6 is still my favorite player, even after scoring "better" guitars. The neck is relatively thin, but not super thin. Perfect for me. The only thing that could improve it, imo, would be if it was oil-finished rather than painted. You can't get much better bang for your buck than one of these.

Pricewise, figure somewhere in the $400 range. Maybe a little more on eBay, maybe a little less if you stumble across one at a pawn shop or in the used section at a store.

Comment

I've owned a couple of Model 5s over the years--they rock. What you think of the neck depends on your frame of reference. If you are used to ultra thin necks like on an Ibanez RG, the Model 5 neck will seem kinda chunky, but it's very thin and shredworthy compared to the average Gibson or Fender neck.

I always replaced the stock pickups in my Model 5s with EMG-81s and removed the original Jackson active circuit entirely. However, you can simply replace the stock pickups with a set of Duncans and have a killer guitar.

$400 sounds about right for one with a Kahler. The prices have been going up on these a little lately. A few years ago, you could score a Model 5 w/Kahler for under $300, since stores found it hard to give 'em away.

Comment

I want a 85 bridge 60 neck combo because im rythym guitar player in a band. I also want to tear out the electronics and replace with the EMG stuff. I can't wait to get it now. Sounds like a killer guitar. Is this a low end, moderate end, or hi end guitar? And how common, i can't find these anyomre, but model 6's are every where? Are the 6's better?
                            1986 Model 5 with Kahler
                            RH100 Randall head

Comment

I paid a little over $700 back in '86 if that helps you. It was just below the Model 6 (which was the most expensive of the Charvel Model series) as far as price goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X