Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model 5?

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this a low end, moderate end, or hi end guitar? And how common, i can't find these anyomre, but model 6's are every where? Are the 6's better?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as import Jackson/Charvels go, it's very much toward the high end, being a neckthru. A fine instrument and not cheap or crappy in any way. Better than any import Jackson you can get today, in my opinion.

If I recall, the Model 5 sold for only $100 less than the Model 6, which was the top of the import Charvel line in the late '80s. The Model 6 is slightly different in having a bound neck, sharkfin inlays, and single coils in the neck/middle pickup positions, but otherwise they are identical. Apart from the different pickups, the differences are purely cosmetic--in terms of quality or playability, there is no difference. I think you see more Model 6s around because more of them were sold.

Model 5s do show up on eBay fairly frequently, though. I'd say several per month, though many have Floyd Roses.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I paid a little over $700 back in '86 if that helps you. It was just below the Model 6 (which was the most expensive of the Charvel Model series) as far as price goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the Model 88's were the most expensive of the Model series.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Will a 85 in the bridge still be able to produce the good screaching solo tone and still have a fat rythym? I don't solo a lot but some times rip one out.
        1986 Model 5 with Kahler
        RH100 Randall head
        4x12 cabinet with Eminence Blue Tick Hound speakers

Comment

there is a subversive group of EMG users around here who will insist that you MUST run the 85 in the bridge position. Haven't tried it yet myself, but it apparently works a treat.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Will a 85 in the bridge still be able to produce the good screaching solo tone and still have a fat rythym? I don't solo a lot but some times rip one out.

[/ QUOTE ]
            The answer is yes, with the usual disclaimer that it comes down to individual taste. Here's a lead I did when I had EMGs in the 750XL:

JCF Jam

It's an EMG-85 through a Zoom pedal board. Reverb and EQ added later during post processing. The backing track comes from elsewhere. Today I wish I'd had the Duncan in it when I did the recording, since I like that tone way better now. Here's something I did with my Model 6, also with the EMG-85 (both rhythm and lead):

Tenjou Tenge Jam

These days I have a DiMarzio in that guitar though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Are the J-80 stock pick ups good for distortion, or are they just crap.
              1986 Model 5 with Kahler
              RH100 Randall head
              4x12 cabinet with Eminence Blue Tick Hound speakers

Comment

... [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

It helps to have a frame of reference as to what you like as everyones tastes are different.

I think most members would consider them adequate if not some of the better Jackson stock pups.
                If you consider 'good' for distortion a higher output pickup like 13-20k, (Dimarzio super distortion to a SD Live Wire or Trembucker) then these are not the ticket as they are of a lower output of what one would consider a 'hot' pickup. I don't know what the magnets are, possibly ceramic, nor have I seen it posted what the number of turns is but I would consider them a med output p/u...fine for most rock/blues applications.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  I paid a little over $700 back in '86 if that helps you. It was just below the Model 6 (which was the most expensive of the Charvel Model series) as far as price goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the Model 88's were the most expensive of the Model series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, now I'm not so sure anymore. I don't know much about the 88's. I've been trying to find that thread with the yearly list prices for the Model series.

Comment

88's resale around 4-500.00 if I recall. Depends on a number of factors.

Comment

Any idea what they went for new?

Comment

no, I don't.. but I'm gonna guess it was around 900-1000. I'm surprised nobody has stepped up to the plate on that as there are a few collectors/owners here who might have a better idea. I believe there was a Jackson limited which was similar to the 88's with a factory partially scalloped fretboard. They were finned in blue.
                        For some reason, I'm thinking the two models came out about the same time and were related in being limited editions.
                        Someone may have some catalog archives which may have the retail price. There is a guy in Sweden had a really good catalog sight but I think its been down lately.

Comment

The USA '88 Ltd. Ed. was mucho dinero. Probably at least $1500, which a LOT of coin in 1988. I think it was more expensive the typical USA Jackson neckthru guitars of that time. I'm sure the Model 88 was much less than that, but $900 or so sounds about right if it was the top of the line in '88, since the Model 6 sold for about $800.

Comment

I like Emg,s better on my model 4 the active is more like a mid boost, i think the pickups a actullay passive with active tone

Comment

EMGs sound the same to me no matter what guitar you put them in.Lespaul, squire strat or for that matter a 2x4.JMO.The model 5A had the J-95 humbucker.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

> When that killer Charvel catalog came out in 1988-9,the Model 5 list price was 949.00 with case,the Model 6 was 1049.00. This catalog was the big grayish looking one that first offered the JT-6 and the "chainsaw" Safecase. I still lust after a creamy white Model 6 to this day. I have a Model 5,also creamy,but nowhere near vintage,it was broke before it ever left the shop. The body was cracked down the middle of the tone pot,the ear on the headstock closest to the low E was broken off,all because the hanger it was on failed. It was shipped back to Ft. Worth,then god knows where,I had heard at the time that all C/J factory repair work including refins went thru GMW. It was originally Cobalt Blue,but came back Vintage Ivory,and was taken over by the owner of the shop. It was eventually sold to pay court fines levied by his Dad,the General Sessions judge here after a DUI involving my parents cars. The guy that bought it had a psycho girlfriend,who sold it without his consent,and since all he would play was his Model 4,he never cared to get it back,hence me finding it in the pawnshop here for 250.00. I called him and asked him if he sold it,because I has asked him if he ever did part with it,to call me FIRST. He said his woman had sold it,after a fight,and it had been in the pawnshop for a year,and added if I wanted it to try and dicker with her on the price,as it had no control cavity,trem,or truss rod cover,along with a broken trem socket and a strange hum in the electronics. I talked her down to 175.00,with case,and she paid the tax. The hum was caused by Joe,the 2nd owner,installing a kill switch so he could do the Rhoads toggle switch trick,and screwing it up somehow. The neck pickup is totally disconnected from the 5-way,but you can still hear things when switching to that position. The nut needs to replaced,as does the JT-6 and probably the frets,but I still LOVE it. Tommy D.
                                "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Working...
                                X