Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 Locking nut replacement

Hi,

I see that Model 2 have the locking nut behind the nut, which can sometimes cause tuning problem. If I want to replace it with the modern type that locks right at the nut, Is there any reason why this would be difficult:

Like the current nut has taken wood out or the nut width and shape doesn't match what I could buy today? I don't care if there are holes left over.

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Model 2 Locking nut replacement

the only way I know to do this Kahler nut to OFR nut conversion is by taking to a luthier and having them do it. plus then you have the holes in the headstock from the Kahler nut you took out. significant work and routing involved. doable, but is it worth it?
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

The Kahler lock behind the nut works great none of mine have ever had a tuning problem.Maybe your nut is the problem not the lock.I don't understand where all this crap about the Kahler lock being shit comes from.I bet its not coming from the people that use them.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I don't have it yet, yes I'm going by what I've heard, but thanks for the vote for the Kahler

Comment

If any one knows, what would be a reasonable luthier charge for that conversion?

Comment

I will have to say that the Kahler lock nut does make tuning the "B" string a little tricky as it gets caught in the screw and will pull it sharp when you tighten the lock nut. It's nothing that can't be overcome though. I personally wouldn't waste the time, and more than anything the money to make the conversion to a Floyd nut.

Comment

just buy a floyded guitar or neck off ebay.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The Kahler lock behind the nut works great none of mine have ever had a tuning problem.Maybe your nut is the problem not the lock.I don't understand where all this crap about the Kahler lock being shit comes from.I bet its not coming from the people that use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I'll tell you where all this "crap" comes from, it comes from either a lot of usage or overtightening which causes this kind of damage on the underside of the string lock.

As you can see there is no "grip" left because the strings fall into the slots created by the strings. The "casual" guitarist, like myself, have no problems with the unit because I'm not changing strings as often as someone who may be using it semi-professionally. While this is actually a JT6 string lock, the same happens to the Kahler string locks as well because they are soft, not hardened material like they should've been.....it's a poor design, plain and simple. </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Cant argue with that Dave.I have never had that problem but I see how it could happen. I stand corrected.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Daves pic shows the B string path really well. Like Razor mentioned, that seems to be the string with the most issues because it can get caught in the threads as you tighten down. Sometimes you hear a loud "ping". I've had some that do & some that don't, but you just get used to tuning the B a little flat to compensate for it sharpening up as you lock down. As far as tuning stability, if you make sure that the nut is clean & lubed and the lock isn't badly grooved, it works pretty well. Unfortunately, many of them are badly grooved because they used such soft metal. My plan is to have OFR nuts installed on mine when it comes time to take them in for fret work.

Comment

Not ragging, but these things are called string locks. At least that's what all the Kahler lit said back in the 80s. My Model 3 has one as well, gonna get a locking nut installed as well.
                      Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                      X