Trying to identify my Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to identify my Charvel

I've owned this guitar for many years now, it was one of my first and always has been a favorite. As you can see, it has definetly been used. But until recently, I didn't know anything about it, now I've been trying to track down what kind it is and when it was made but so far haven't been able to figure out anything except that it is an import. So here are some pics and thanks for any help you guys can give me!
    NeckPlate
    HeadStock
    FullBack
    FullFront

Re: Trying to identify my Charvel

can't view the pics.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Welcome, SuperNewb! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Your links are not working. Until they are, check out

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#577360

and give us a nice detailed text description.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here's the picture posting tutorial:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#370213

I registered at that site & still can't view your pics, btw. Photobucket is the way to go. Welcome aboard! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay, here we go.

Comment

<font color="aqua">That would be an 86 Model 4, my friend- [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

So, not to sound to new [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] but what does that mean.
              I don't really know anything about early models.

Comment

1986 model 4...kahler trem gives it away (jacksn floyds after 1986), and TM used on both neckplate and headstock
                ( R appeared after 86)..i have an 86 also tho in white - very nice flexible guitars ...

its kinda in the middle of the model series...model 1 was like a strat copy, model 2 was a single pickup... model 3 had two humbuckers or hss with a lower grade kahler trem on the 86 models, model 4 has hss, individual toggles for the pickups, active mid boost system, full on kahler trem, model 5 had twin humbuckers and a set neck i think, model 6 like the model 4 but with a set neck as well, model 7 was a tele style...i think that's right

have you had a paint job done? i haven't seen one with painted pickups before

Comment

Yeah, it was a couple of years ago. The original paint job
                  was Bright red, and it just got boring so while I was working
                  in an autobody shop, I decided to give her a new look.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Recently though I've been thinking about striping her down
                  to bare wood and starting all over again. She needs some
                  reconditioning, I don't think any upkeep has been done
                  except for the little that I have done over the years.

Btw, what kind of wood is used on the body's.
                  And what's the big deal between USA made and imports.
                  My Charvel seems to scream just has hard and loud as the next.
                  And the sustain, I just about creamed myself when I held my
                  first note for over a min long, I still haven't met anyone
                  that can do that.

It's really great to be jammin away pumpin all that beautiful
                  Charvel sound through my Mesa Boogie, and then tell people
                  that I only paid $100 for it.

Comment

the model series were basswood bodies...and very high quality guitars - just manpower cheaper in japan i guess...actually started a direct competition with people taking the models over the usa guitars as there was no real difference in quality except for cheaper pickups..all for less than half the price...eventually jackson started using cheaper parts on them so the quality would go down and people would start buying the us guitars again...nowadays they have japan only series which are avilable only in japan /east, so as not to compete with us/european markets

Comment

Sweet, sounds like I got myself one hell of a deal then. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      Thanks sonicsamurai.

Comment

no sweat man \m/ i think i got all my facts right i'm sure someone will correct me if i haven't. i've become a bit of a charvel whore in the last 6 months having bought a model 2 and a model 4 - the necks are so beautiful!!

Comment

Production of japanese Charvels started in '86, after they stopped making USA Charvels &amp; moved production of Jacksons to the Ontario, CA factory, so there was never head-to-head competition between USA &amp; Japanese Charvels. The period that most people point to where japanese-made guitars hurt sales of USA guitars was during the early days of the Jackson Professional models, which were super-close to USA Jackson specs. The pickups used in Model Series guitars were the exact same ones used in USA Jacksons of the period. During USA production, Charvels were all technically custom-made guitars, though many were ordered in basic configs &amp; paint by shops rather than by specific customers. Some of the big general differences between USA Charvels &amp; Model Series:

USA guitars could be ordered with any wood, usually something considered by most to be better than basswood like alder, ash, mahogany, etc.

USA guitars could be ordered with an oil-finished neck rather than a painted finish, and most of the non-figured-wood necks were quartersawn maple. Model series necks were excellent, but they were all painted &amp; were not quartersawn.

USA guitars were built to more exacting standards and had high-end details like brass cavity shielding.

Bottom line, Model Series guitars are great and are a fantastic bang for the buck. Think about how killer that Model 4 is for $100. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Can't beat that! I own a few &amp; love them, but they don't compete in a head-to-head comparison with USA Charvels of the '80s or the new ones, imo.

Comment

What years did they make the headstock logo on the Charvel with the Jackson-like logo?

Comment

Script logo'd guitars started in 1989 and ended as late as 96.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X