model 6 wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model 6 wiring issues

HELP!Since ive had my charvel,Ive only been able to use my bridge pickup.There are 3 switches that im assuming control the pickups.One emg in the bridge,one "single coil" looking pickup in the middle and then neck position.There is one switch that does control the bridge but when i switch it to "off?",no sound comes out of the other pickups regardless of the position their switch is in(as well as the bridge).When i popped off the back plate there is a little pcb.There is one white and red wire coming off of that board,and they are both not connected to anything.The two wires must have came loose and disconnected.Can this be the problem of why my other 2 pickups wont come on? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Re: model 6 wiring issues

Is the bridge still the EMG ,If so I have an EMG SA single coil that you can have but you must come get it.The other pick ups have to be active also or they will not work together,and bring your Razorback.Your razorback guitar not your razor back. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Can this be the problem of why my other 2 pickups wont come on? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
      Impossible to answer without seeing more of the wiring. But I bet someone put an EMG humbucker in and just disabled the other two pickups and the original active preamp. If that's the case, then you have a jumble of mismatched electronics in there.

The Model 6 came with a Jackson J50BC bridge humbucker and two J200 stacked humbuckers (single coil size) for middle and neck positions. Those are all passive pups, but the guitar also had a JE-1200 active mid-boost circuit that turned it into low impedance output.

EMGs won't work well with passive pups, and I'm guessing they wouldn't work well with the JE-1200 either (which could be the reason they're disabled).

Comment

Yeah I'm almost certain his bridge is an EMG 81.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          Can this be the problem of why my other 2 pickups wont come on? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          Impossible to answer without seeing more of the wiring. But I bet someone put an EMG humbucker in and just disabled the other two pickups and the original active preamp. If that's the case, then you have a jumble of mismatched electronics in there.

The Model 6 came with a Jackson J50BC bridge humbucker and two J200 stacked humbuckers (single coil size) for middle and neck positions. Those are all passive pups, but the guitar also had a JE-1200 active mid-boost circuit that turned it into low impedance output.

EMGs won't work well with passive pups, and I'm guessing they wouldn't work well with the JE-1200 either (which could be the reason they're disabled).

[/ QUOTE ]
          i will post pics today after work.thanks!
          hunter1970-word man word....

Comment

Thanks to fellow boardie hunter1970,i just rec`d a emg sa.here are some pics and ive been looking at a wire diagram but im still a little confused.I sure hate to have to pay someone to wire this up.I know the pcb seems to be soldered on the volume pot on top.a red and white wire is disconected.Im trying to wire this new emg to the switches.any suggestions?
            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

i just realized also the wires come out of the emg sa in the front,side instead of the bottom of the pickup so it doesnt want to fit in without some possible routing.

Comment

Maybe you should post this in the TECH section.

Comment

I wired a EMG SA/SA/81 pickup set awhile
                  ago on my 87 model 6. It works great I
                  can turn any one on each pickup or any
                  two or all three at the same time, any
                  pickup combo, or one pickup on & off. I
                  don't think there's any diagrams for EMG
                  sets on three mini switches. After some
                  experimenting this worked for me.
                  Sorry for the cheesy drawing but it might help...........

Comment

Dude!!!!You are the man!!!Awesome!!!!Im gonna give this a shot.Thanks a million!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Good luck!!! The neck pickup is awesome bluesy like Hendrix, the bridge is screaming lead pickup, the bridge & middle is great for heavy metal lots of bottom end, & all three together is also awesome tons of tone & resonence like a les paul custom........Remember though to use the EMG pots I think their 25K types.......

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        .......Remember though to use the EMG pots I think their 25K types.......

[/ QUOTE ]
                        hummmm...emg pots?will any 25k pots do?and i was wondering what the circuit board is for soldered to my tone pot

Comment

That sounds like the stock charvel active type set?? Yes I think any 25k set will do..........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            That sounds like the stock charvel active type set??

[/ QUOTE ]
                            i dont see a pcb in your diagram.still somewhat confused [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Ive also got a Model 6 on its way and I'll probably keep it stock since I've got all the stock Jackson mid-boost system parts on a body I have laying around.
                              Good luck in you project George.

Comment

Working...
                              X