Mod 4's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod 4's

Did Mod 4's come with the option of sharkfin or dots on the fretboard? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Mod 4\'s

There's some contention to that. Some say that the Model 4 with dots and a JT-6 is a regular Model 4 when it has sharkies it's a Model 4A. Unfortunately there is no documentation to my knowledge that backs this up.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah Tekky, I think a couple of months ago I was asking a question on a friends guitar. I gave a description that it was a bolt on, blue in color, with a Kahler, three toggle switches (like a Mod 6), dots for inlays, and I believe the answer that was given was a Mod 4. I've been looking at some pictures, including the catalogue photos that were posted yesterday and it showed sharkfin inlays. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

That why I posed the question again.
      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Kahler and dots makes it an 86 Model 4. In 87-88 they went to sharkies. This much has been documented.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Interesting, I always thought that dots and a kahler meant 1986, and 87 and after all had jt6 and sharks. I didnt realize that you could choose dots or sharkies.

EDIT: wow, you guys are fast. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Again, I'm not sure you can either. There's no documentation on it. That doesn't mean that it's not true, it just means that there's no proof that it's not a neck swap of some sort.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

hmmm that could explain why i had a Model 4 with JT-6 and dots.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                hmmm that could explain why i had a Model 4 with JT-6 and dots.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite possible that you may have even had a 4M and the previous owner switched it with a Model 2 or 3 neck. I've done that myself and sold the guitar to a JCFr.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

How much will a modded Model 4 sell for with the stock electronics but with a H-H-S setup,the pickups are from a model 5 and the single is the stacked J-200.It is white in color and does not have a neckplate.

Comment

What does the price of ice cream in Alaska have to do with it?
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Oh sorry wrong section. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've owned both types of the 'old logo' Model 4. My first one was a sharkies which I bought in '91.. I think these came later than '87 and just before the toothpastes. Sully is correct on the Kahler-'86. I think (speculation here) the dot models were '87 & 88 and then in later '88... sharkies. All were called model 4 in the year just before transistion to toothpastes.

I do not know if it was an option tho, likely just another variation as I've never seen a maple neck 4 with sharkies.
                        If it was an option, I'm sure we'd have seen some.

So model 4 w/kahler/dots (I've never seen a maple dot with Kahler 4..so not sure if they exist), 4 w/rosewood-dots-JT6, 4 w/ maple dots-JT6 (4M), 4 w/ sharkies,rosewood-JT6.

After the Kahler.. they had the same layout and trem (JT-6)..altho, the sharkies had a reg floyd nut..can't recall if it was a topmount or an old school bolt thru.

Comment

I think they didn't start using a Floyd nut until the "toothpaste"era.Although I may be wrong.
                          My Model 4 had the JT-6,sharkies and the behind the nut lock.

Comment

According to the gallery looks like you are correct as the sharkie 4's pictured there have behind the nut locking.
                            I do not recall locking behind the nut. I sold the guitar 15 years ago.. a couple months after I bought it so didn't own it for long.

Comment

The thing I like about it is that you can use a dime to unlock the nut,instead of an allen wrench.
                              Call me lazy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X