This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of my hybrid Charvel frankensteins >>>>>>>>

Hi - I'm new here. So anyway, to get started here, I thought I'd post some pics of some of my Charvel hybrid projects I've assembled over the last year or so. I love the model series necks, so I bought 4 of them over the last year to put on various bodies. Some of these have turned out to some of my all time favorite players.

First one, I call it the "Telebastard"

Desertburst, solid ash body with quilt maple veneer. Model 4 neck with pearloid dots instead of fins.

The pickups are custom-made from Pete at Vintage Vibe Guitars. The bridge is a P90 overwound, and the neck is an overwound, reverse wound tele neck. The switch is a 5 tone tele mod from Deaf-Eddie. Man, these pickups rule! I plan to have him make me some more in the future for sure!

So, pics of this one:

Ok, and here is #2, a near clone of #1. Kindof the evil twin.

Solid ash body, creme binding. Again, a Model 4 neck. the bridge pickup is a Gibson Tony Iommi, which is my favorite pickup right now. The neck is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound.

Pics:

Comment

Re: Pics of my hybrid Charvel frankensteins >>>>>>>>

Nice, and welcome.

What bodies are those? They look damn good!
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Re: Pics of my hybrid Charvel frankensteins >>>>>>>>

Welcome. Those kick ass! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Pics of my hybrid Charvel frankensteins >>>>>>

The desertburst body is from CustomShopParts on eBay. The black one is a no-name body I found on eBay. Possibly USA Schecter. No stamp in the neckpocket though, so hard to tell.

Comment

I'm not sure which of them I like more! How do you like the P90 on the first one? I've got Seymour Duncan Vintage Soapbars in one of my guitars and I just love those pickups to death. Very versatile.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I'm not sure which of them I like more! How do you like the P90 on the first one? I've got Seymour Duncan Vintage Soapbars in one of my guitars and I just love those pickups to death. Very versatile.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an amazing pickup. Pete Biltoft made it to my custom specs. It's overwound, about 10k, has the high end Ceramic 8 magnets. It sounds awesome clean, and absolutely cranks with high and medium gain. Has a nice gritty dirty warm sound to it. Very versitile pickup, especially with the 5 way switch. Position #2 is out of phase/series with the neck pickup, and I get a great out of phase sound that sounds like a wah pedal set at half cock. Nasally and nasty with no loss of output.

Also, the neck pickup is reverse wound, and each pickup is sheilded with copper foil tape, so they are very quiet pickups.

Comment

Ok, here's number 3. It's a Mighty Mite alder body in a flamed maple Ocean turquoise finish. The neck is from a Model 3 I believe. I had the body routed for a deep Floyd recess. The Floyd is by Gotoh and is a great trem, very similar to the Ibanez Edge.

The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon, and the jury is still out on that one. Not sure if I like it in this guitar, I may stick it in something else and see how it performs. The neck and mid are DiMarzio HS-2 stacked singles. The vol knob push/pull switches the neck series/parrallel. The tone knob push/pull switches the mid to series/out of phase for that half-cocked wah sound.

The switch is a 5 way Schaller megaswith that autosplits the humbucker in different positions.

ok, pics of this one:

Comment

P90 type pickups seem to work well on both ends of the gain spectrum. Plus I love the grit they have. Just can't get that with neither regular single coils nor humbuckers.

I bet that's a great pickup configuration. A multitude of killer tones at your disposal and you only use one, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    P90 type pickups seem to work well on both ends of the gain spectrum. Plus I love the grit they have. Just can't get that with neither regular single coils nor humbuckers.

I bet that's a great pickup configuration. A multitude of killer tones at your disposal and you only use one, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! No, I usually try to take advantage of all the tones, but it is true I usually find myself cranking the gain most of the time! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The body is the same configuration as a Model 3, but the pickup selector is a bit further up than the Model 3s are. They're centered between the volume and tone knobs.

And the bolt-on model bodies (except for the 88) were basswood.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The body is the same configuration as a Model 3, but the pickup selector is a bit further up than the Model 3s are. They're centered between the volume and tone knobs.

And the bolt-on model bodies (except for the 88) were basswood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been trying to find a nice Model 3a body with the two humbucker routes to use with my 4th neck I have. Did they ever make the 3a in that white pearl finish I wonder? I've only seen it I think in a lake placid blue, red and black...

Comment

Pearl White, yes. I don't know how many, but that is one of the standard colors.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Pearl White, yes. I don't know how many, but that is one of the standard colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such a classy color. I'd love to get my hands on a 3a in Pearl White! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I definitely love the way they age. I've got a couple of Model 2s in that color and they are beautiful.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X