Model 1 headstock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1 headstock question

Was a crack/split at the low E tuner area on the headstock a common problem on Model 1's? The reason I ask is I have one that has been repaired and I have seen mention in the past of this problem. Thx.

I can tell you this, I have gone through quite a few Charvels and Jacksons now and yes, it's a weak area. But first let me say that people tend to overtighten everything on these guitars (and others) and whenever I disassemble a guitar, I have found the most people are tightening the sleeve nuts for the tuners waaaay too tight. All it needs is a snugging up and that's it.
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

You know, it appears that the crack may have started at the sleeve. It looks like it was repaired with small dowels. You can see 2 small dowel heads on the side of the headstock. Thanks.

Comment

Your very welcome, as a side note, it would seem that some owners fill tuners holes with toothpics or whatever and then don't bother to redrill for the tuner screws and it cracks at the tuner screw hole out to the edge as well.
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Ive noticed this crack on many pointy headstocks on ebay. Seems common to me. Good advice about not overtightening things

Comment

The funny thing is (of course) it plays so well, one of my favorite necks. We will never part!

Comment

Yes. The Model 1A I got had it. It took me while to see it. It was a professional repair and it's probably a stronger neck with the repair. When you buy a guitar, check out the grain. You can almost see a break happening.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
              X