I am not that knowledgeable on Import Charvels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not that knowledgeable on Import Charvels

A friend of mine at work has asked if I could help him sell his old guitar. I don't know how much to ask for it because I don't know what model it is, he doesn't know either…but he said he paid around $1200 new back in the late '80's early 90's.

The guitar is a neck thru body style with a recessed double-locking licensed Schaller bridge. There are two pickups, the bridge pickup looks like an EMG and says Jackson on it, the neck pickup looks like a Seymour Duncan "Hot Rails" and is angled.

The neck has a rosewood fretboard and "Charvel" written like a Jackson guitar on the headstock. I think it's called "toothpaste?" The tuners also say Jackson. The serial number is "C900113". I have decoded as much as I can from this: "C" for Charvel "9" for 1989?

I'm pretty sure this is a Japanese built Charvel and probally not worth much but any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Rock On!

manager - CentralMnRock.com

It's an '89 550XL. Sweet guitar. He may be able to get ~$500 for it on eBay.

Here's the '89 Catalog page with the 550XL (lower right):

http://dgibboney1.googlepages.com/Ch...Pro_Series.JPG

Comment

Does anyone have a scan of the 550XL in the '90 catalogue? Was it available in '90?

I'm interested to see it, as my 550XL is a dark metallic green and the serial suggests that it's an '89. According to the '89 catalogue, it was only available in Candy Blue, Candy Red, Turquoise, Magenta, Platinum & Metallic Black. Is it possible that mine was previously Metallic Black and has actually faded to dark green? I know I've seen other objects that appear black but on closer inspection are actually very very dark blues or greens.

Any thoughts?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Gary, that dark metallic green pops up sometimes on 750XLs, too. Budman has one. I think I've seen it on a 650 as well, and I don't remember ever seeing the color listed as an option. This is yet another time I wish RW hadn't pulled the plug on Jackson Museum.

Comment

hmmm, interesting.

damn J/C, throwing unusual non-catalogue guitars out into circulation

I have scans of the nr2 Jackson catalogue from '92, which mentions a Metallic Emerald Green, available on the Stealth LT & the Futura LT. But the name doesn't suggest it being as dark a colour as this 550XL

I know by the mid-90s they were using a green flake on things like the Kelly Pro, but that's a lighter green too.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

The 550XL I had was turquoise and it was by the serial# an 88 but probably made for the 89 model year.The paint had "greened" a little over the years, whoever said urethane doesn't "age"is nuts because it does.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X