Body Wood for 80's Model 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Wood for 80's Model 1

It feels on the heavy side...anyone knwo what kind of wood they used for this body?

Basswood. There are very few bolt-on Model Series or toothpaste logo Charvels made of any other wood.

Comment

Thanks Man, never heard of that kind of wood before. Has it been used in any guitars since?

Comment

Loads of guitars are made from basswood.
        www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Thanks why is that you think? Tonal quality? Or is it just cheap?

Comment

Shit+
            Originally posted by Speiro
            Loads of guitars are made from basswood.
            Some like it (saying it is like mahogany), some hate it. I think it's related to balsa (family of trees), so it dents and dings easy. Many Ibanez are made from this.

FWIW, I have three Fusions made from this stuff, and they have great sustain and are all great axes.

Comment

The new EVH art series are also made from it, it's supposed to be eddie's favorite tone wood.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I noticed last night while playing it that the thing had TONS of sustain...now I know why. I am actually impressed with this guitar for 300 and change and Jap made its really nice. Don what do you mean by Shit+

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
                  Don what do you mean by Shit+
                  I was trying to connect it to the quote I took to = "ShitLoads of guitars are made from basswood"

And FWIW, it is cheap because it grows quickly. The harder the wood, the more slowly it grows (usually), and the more expensive it is.

Comment

All great info. You guys really know your Shit+ and thats no typo!
                    Thanks

Comment

Yep, the bolt-on Model series guitars were (b)asswood. The neck-thrus were made of poplar.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love basswood

just cause its cheap and plentiful doesn't mean it sounds bad, ...as some people think. Well, My playing can make any wood sound Sh*t+++

Is it pronounced bAsswood (long a sound) or basswood (like the fish)??
                        Last edited by maxboost; 05-23-2006, 01:51 PM.

Comment

fish.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                            Some like it (saying it is like mahogany), some hate it. I think it's related to balsa (family of trees), so it dents and dings easy. Many Ibanez are made from this.
                            While I can't comment on the Ibanez "basswood", I can say that the stuff on my Model 7 is NOT soft. I did a test in the neck pocket and it's extremely tough. Charvel obviously found some extremely heavy, resonant and strong basswood for their guitars.
                            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

"it's supposed to be eddie's favorite tone wood"

Yep, basswood has been known for it's ability to enhance the royalty margin.
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                              X