HELP with a model 6 serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with a model 6 serial number

I don't know anything but that this guitar feautures floyd trem and there are no visible serials on the fretboard... Might it be cancelled as well with the intensive use of the fretboard? Or, if it was on a sticker behind the headstock, might it be loosen accidentally? The guitar has got nothing to suspect of any alteration...

Re: HELP with a model 6 serial number

Do you have any pics of it? Does it look like it is original paint? Do you think the floyd style trem is original or maybe there was a Kahler flatmount at one time but someone possibly filled it? If there is nothing on the fretboard than it should have been on the back of the headstock at one time. The sticker/serial # can't just fall off as it was overlaid with clearcoat from the factory.

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Ok, I will check all the guitar... And what about the pickups? the single coils are j200? So, are they stacked humbuckers or single?
      Thanks

Comment

Yes correct, they are stacked humbuckers and there should be a preamp attached to the volume control as well.

Dave->
        Dave ->

Comment

HELP with a model 6 serial number

Do you think it’s possible to have a charvel [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] model 6 without a serial number? Perhaps it was just sticked somewhere and it was taken out… What can you suggest about this?

Comment

Well, the earlier ones were numbered on a clear sticker that was clearcoated over from the factory behing the headstock. If it's a refin, it's possible that it was destroyed or removed when that was done. The later model 6's were stamped into the fretboard at the last fret.

Dave->
            Dave ->

Comment

I have a 1987 Model 6, and when I first got it, I thought it had no serial number. But the serial number was indeed in the last fret...it's very faint and hard to see, but it's stamped in there. Also, it can't be worn off from playing, because it's actually beyond the last fretwire where you would not play it. If you have access to a magnifying glass or reading glasses, check it out with them on...that makes it easier to read.
              Dana <~~~
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Some Kramers had a problem with stickers coming off over the years as there were some problems with the lacquer.. could be the same happened here.

Comment

Thank you so much! I'm going to check as soon as I can and then I will let you know...
                  Bye! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

By the way: I'm not an expert on floyd bridges... What's the right way to fix the strings and tune? I mean, in the JT6 bridge are there fine-tuning screws? I will receive the guitar tomorrow: that's why I'm asking it... The big screws on the back side of the bridge are used to fix the strings, I Imagine. But what abou fine-tuning?
                    THANKS

Comment

On the JT6 bridge, the fine tuners ARE those big knobs sticking out behind the bridge, and there are allen screws inside those knobs which you loosen to change the strings. Those allen screws will loosen or tighten up the clamps which hold the strings. You'll figure it out when you see it...it's not hard. Hope that helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      Dana <~~~
                      ps...if you need to know how to set up your JT6, we can help you with that as well.
                      '85 Rhoads Custom
                      '86 SD Str*t
                      '86 Model 4 (5)
                      '87 Model 1
                      '87 Model 6
                      '88 Model 3DR
                      '90 650 XL
                      '94 KE-3
                      '97 DR Amberburst
                      '97 Dinky BOFlames
                      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Yes! It definitely helps... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] THANKS
                        I hope you can give me also some good advice on how to properly setup the bridge...
                        What do you really think about the JT6? Is it a good or a bad floyd? And is it easy to find replace parts?
                        THANKS

Comment

The JT6 is a decent bridge...some of us here like them quite a lot, others hate them. They do work quite well when set up properly. The country of manufacture is Taiwan, and these trems have not been made for quite a long time...15 years or more. So the only way to find parts is to either ask someone from this forum, or buy yourself a parts guitar...something I have done several times because the Model Series Charvels are not very expensive right now.

Once you get your guitar, someone from here can show you how to set up your trem, or direct you to an old thread which will show you how to do it. They aren't really difficult, but if you have never done it before, it can be frustrating at first.
                          Dana <~~~
                          '85 Rhoads Custom
                          '86 SD Str*t
                          '86 Model 4 (5)
                          '87 Model 1
                          '87 Model 6
                          '88 Model 3DR
                          '90 650 XL
                          '94 KE-3
                          '97 DR Amberburst
                          '97 Dinky BOFlames
                          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I finally got my model 6 this morning..
                            Nice fingerboard, nice colour, just a scratch on the top side of the body (next to the righ arm...). I suddenly broke the tremolo arm of the JT-6... What should I do? And, moreover, I found the JT-6 quite difficult to setup and the fine-tuning screw of the G string doesn't go out of its path like the others: it is always more headstock-oriented than the others fine-tuning screws. Is it normal?
                            By the way: I got my serial number C705594 on the last fret...
                            I have a gibson LP and a super-modified fender strato and I really like jackson pickups and the feeling of the fingerboard... But as to the bridge at this very first moment I'm quite in some doubt... Should i choose another bridge and change the locking nuts as well?
                            Any comment and help is appreciated...
                            THANKS [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like the threaded bolt for the G is bent. You busted the bar? That was quick. You can replace it with another Jackson or Ibanez will retrofit in there as well.. a little mod to the fittings and it stays in place real well. The JT6's (have three) I have are a little tempermental. I find iu setting them up, I have to experiment with different spring configurations. I use a spring return device as well..but it's not a tremsetter and it's still tempermental. I like the JT6 for chord shimmy and vibrato effects, but under really agressive use it tends to go out moreso than my Edge trems. Maybe I haven't experimented enough yet.

[ August 28, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Working...
                              X