schaller trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schaller trem

ook, ive got this schaller here off a guitar i just picked up, and the string locks (the little block thingies) are all stuck. i managed to hammer one of them out which took forever and there is no way this thing was meant to fit in there with the correct orientation. this had to be someones replacement screwup because the blocks on my other schallers are just dying to fall out during a restring.

anyone had this happen and got any tricks/solutions? where it stands now i might as well be throwing out these saddles which means im in the ballpark of just getting a new bridge, but i got this guitar (650xl) for less than it would cost to put an ofr in there, so........

Re: schaller trem

Take the entire tremolo apart and soak the saddles in WD-40 or some 3-in-1 Oil for a day or two. Then use a small screw driver to pry them out.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Well Tekky, that may work ok, but a less conservative approach would be to use a propane torch to heat the entire bridge assy. until the little blocks just fall out on their own. There may be a little repainting required after this procedure but it will be a lot less work and you wouldn't waste near as much wd40! [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'd go with Todd on this one... Heat will not solve the problem. It's only a temporary fix.... It's stuck there for a reason... Heat will expand it so that the block will come loose, but will go back to its original state when cooled. The WD40 will clean as well as lubricate it so it will not happen again.

Comment

I had so many problems with trem parts that I eventually went out and bought a gallon of wd-40 for 10.00.

I just used an old conditioner container with a screw on lid my girlfriend had about that I could fit a whole trem inside. I reuse it for all my locked up saddles, knife edges or cleaning. Leave it soak for a day or three, it's solved all of my seized parts problems.

Comment

Every 9 months or so, I do an overhaul on my Floyds... I take them apart, clean them, and then re-assemble them. In between that, I use a little WD-40 and a toothbrush to keep things moving freely.

The propane torch is a bit extreme. Besides, how many of us have a propane torch just lying around? Aside from accessability, I'd say for the least damage and a quicker 'recovery' time WD-40 or 3 in 1 Oil hits the spot.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

It may just be me, but I don't think the torch was a serious idea.... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

If so, then I'm lost on the joke. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                Occupy JCF

Comment

ummm.....I was just joking about the torch. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  I had to learn to play the guitar cause I'd never make it as a comedian. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry... It was a late night last night. That one went right over my head.

Can I laugh now and it be allright?? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

No. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Go ahead Tekky, it'll at least make me feel better. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

I just can't tell ya what that did for my level of self confidence Tekky. I owe ya one bro.
                            [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe he was using the propane thorch to heat his spoon
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X