3DR with toothpaste logo???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DR with toothpaste logo???

I was checking out a guitar that by pickups and body seems to be a 3DR but has a toothpaste logo and the locking nut of the predator??

It's nice, whatever it is, probly during the overlap between the the 2 model years they had an extra 3DR body and put a predator neck neck on it, well I guess I answered my own question!
    Last edited by tanpsi; 05-28-2006, 01:42 PM.

well, the 3DR and the predator are pretty much undistinguishable in differences when it comes to the bodies IMO. The blade p/u in the neck was really the only change. (I don't recall what they had in the bridge..JC50b?)

Comment

Does anyone remember where that catalog scan with the 3DR is?? I'm not being lazy, I jus ran out of search terms, I only find the 91 catalog????

Comment

The Predator has the rear body scallop (neck heel), the 3DR doesn't. Some of the later 3DRs have the FR type nut, the early ones had the Kahler style. All 3DRs have the JT6 trem, Predators had the Charvel logo'd Schaller (JT500?)
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yup.. Mark's right.. I forgot about the scalloped heel. The trem too is different as stated. It may even be recessed on the Predator but I do not know for certain.

I have a top mount floyd nut on my 3DR and other models which clamp behind the nut.

Comment

One more thing i should have clarified, the "FR" style nut on the later 3DR's was a Kahler branded nut. You can spot it easily because the locking bolts were allen head, and also slotted for a standard screwdriver. Wierd, but that's how they did it.

Comment

Is that Kahler nut a true locking nut, or a string lock?
              Just a guitar player...

Comment

not sure what you mean.. I have one on my Spectrum..it is a much like a Floyd clamp, just the inserts are a little smaller than a regular floyd style.

Comment

I carefully looked at it again and it is indeed a 3DR body (no scallop) and pickups ( jackson brand single coil with pole pieces) with a Predator neck (or at least a neck with a toothpaste logo and floyd type nut). However it has a strange tremelo and is in a music store of ill repute so I'm going to have to pass
                  Last edited by tanpsi; 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Pics? Maybe someone else here would be interested in it.

Comment

Predators are recessed. Also, the Predator neck is probably the best neck in the entire import line..............

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Good point Mike! Actually 3DRs have a recess for "pull back" , but they are still a surface mount trem.

Comment

If anyone near boston is interested in this mystery guitar it's in a music store in Mass Ave, I'm not going to buy it

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi
                            If anyone near boston is interested in this mystery guitar it's in a music store in Mass Ave, I'm not going to buy it

Well, if you were a true "JCF Bro", you'd run back up there, take some pics of it, and post 'em here. Then if any of us wanted it you would buy it and let us pay you back, and ship it to us.

Course, you haven't been around here for long and don't really know anyone so you'd be better off to let this one go.

Comment

Well, it needs some money to get it functional and you would probably be dissapointed with the weird trem, I asked the tech guy if he could verify that it had the same spacing as an OFR he said "shure why would it be any different" !?!??!?!

So I've decided to stop waiting for a great deal on a used Charvel and I just put a new DXMG on layway! But in the future I could see collecting some of these Charvels if I had extra $$$$$$$
                              Last edited by tanpsi; 06-12-2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X