37mm Floyd in to a 3DR = Spring Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37mm Floyd in to a 3DR = Spring Rub

My 3DR firecrackle(I LOVE THAT GUITAR!) used to have a jt-6 that I didn't care for. I scored an original 80's chrome floyd that I took off this guitar(42mm block) and put on to my red '82 sd charvel(It looks and plays AWESOME with it!).

The KV2 I have had a black floyd I switched for a chrome one(I'm on a chrome kick!). I took the recessed floyd and tried putting it on the 3DR today. Everything was business as usual 'til I tried to dive bomb. I kept hearing a squeaking sound which I've traced to the floyd springs hitting the body. The block of the floyd is tucked wayy under also. LOL that'll have to come off and I'll have to score a larger block floyd I guess. Always something! I don't mind it though.

Just thought I'd share that. Oh, on the crackle 3DR it looks FAR better with the black instead of chrome. Chrome was too bright looking for that design. JMHO. See for yourselves:

Last edited by JZ06; 06-05-2006, 08:07 PM.

The JT-6's have 42mm blocks, which is the standard length for a top-mounted (non-recessed) trem. I think that the baseplate (distance between the blades and the saddles) may also be thicker than that of an OFR, because when I swapped out the JT-6 on my Model 3A for an OFR, I found that the OFR sat a little higher with respect to the body. This may be another reason why the block is "tucked way under".
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but when you say you LOVE the firecrackle 3DR, you forced me to enjoy my rainbow firecrackle once more!
      Man I love this axe!!!!!!!!!!

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider
        The JT-6's have 42mm blocks, which is the standard length for a top-mounted (non-recessed) trem.
        42mm as well as 37mm are used for non-recessed Floyds. My new Charvel Star has a non-recessed trem with 37mm block... the Floyd is almost resting on the body, though. I think the 42mm just keeps the Floyd up a little higher off the body.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

mm

no problem pal! awesome axe.

i'm going to work on scoring a black 42mm floyd. THANKS!

Comment

Love 'em both!!!

JZ, you can get a block from here:

http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...oyd-Rose-Parts
            Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Thanks!

I've heard if it isn't installed correctly, the springs will fly off! Definitely don't want that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JZ06
                I've heard if it isn't installed correctly, the springs will fly off! Definitely don't want that to happen.
                You must be referring to my bonehead maneuver...

But, as they say, all's well that ends well
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

we all make mistakes!

Comment

LOL! Yup, that was an easy mistake to make too! I've done MUCH stupider things!
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I think I've already found a 42mm block!

Comment

Working...
                      X