Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup change on a model 2

I would like to change the pickup on my model 2, and my question would be:

Has anyone done it, and does anyone have any suggestions on which one they liked?

The stock pup is just too muddy, I like crunch, but with some form of definition.

EMG? Live Metal?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: Pickup change on a model 2

I like the Dimarzio Super 2 in mine. A Super 2 in my Model 2. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's apparently supposed to be a neck companion to a Super Distortion in the bridge position, but I think it sounds pretty beefy in the bridge too.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I absolutely love the steve's special in the bridge of my Ibanheed JMP, and will replace the stock hum in my model 6 by another one: very defined crunch, but the ones you mentioned were both active. if you go active: I would say EMG85. love the PU: "pretty defined".

Harrald

Comment

I have a model 2 with an emg 81 added tone control very good but I think an 85 would be better.The 81 is a little on the bright side.I have another with a DiMarzio super D great sound lots of mid range punch.And one with the J90C which to me anyway sounds fantastic not muddy at all very clear and defined as well as quieter than the super d.I installed a duncan live wire (metal) in a model 2 for a friend and it sounded incredible By far my choice for my next model 2.We are talking bone crushing tone but stay away from your amp or turn the post or gain down a little.It WILL let you know if you get too close.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Oh yeah the steves special like guitar geek said great definition and crunch.I found the steves special is not as defined in a poplar bodied guitar but in mahogony very warm.Its a hot pickup (17+k) so use it in the bridge of a 2 hum guitar.
          I selected this pickup for my swamp ash 83 DiMarzio star mutt guitar.String thru tune-o-matic bridge and this pickup sings,very woody open tone but when driven hard mid range comes in and balances out better than any DiMarzio pickup I've ever used.So if you have an ash bodied guitar this pickup is a good choice.

[ September 26, 2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Richard ]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you're thinking of an EMG or a Live Wire, try looking at the Duncan Distortion. It has loads of crunch and is very well defined. Despite what one might think, it is actually quite versatile, too. Just roll of the tone a bit and it softens up nicely (although I keep mine full blast all of the time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) It is defintely my #1 recommended pickup for those looking for a true metal sound.

Comment

I've got 2 guitars that are similar to the model 2 and 2 model 2s. Both of my model 2s and Skully have the stock J-90C, I'm in the process of changing the pickup in Skully to a Seymour Duncan JB. But my JRS-2 has a Duncan Distortion and IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Richard:
                ...I found the steves special is not as defined in a poplar bodied guitar but in mahogony very warm....
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never had a steve's special in another body than the basswood one of the JPM. You mean that in a poplar body (like the mod 6) it does not come out really well (my english is not that great, so some lines are unfamiliar to me)? I had the choice between tonezone and a steve's special for my 6, maybe the wrong choice after all...

Harrald

Comment

I removed the pickup cover on my Model 2 and it was like getting a whole new pickup. Those are from the era when covered pickups were the hot trend, mainly because of EMG's. It went from sounding like it was coming from the basement to sounding really good. Maybe you should try that first. It's only held on with some weak glue.
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

In a previous post, I wrote about the Jackson J-90 and J-95 pups. If you can find either one of those, use it!! My aftermarket pup of choice, without a doubt, is the Duncan Invader. Has anyone else heard these?? All I can say is WOW!!! Comes complete with shredder's tone LOL.
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Wow guys,

It never ceases to amaze me how much info there is here among you folks.

I am going either Live Metal, Invader or Distortion.

Now, how to choose...... Hmmmm.......
                      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

RIP OFF THE PLASTIC COVER AND CLEAN THE GLUE WITH ALCOHOL FIRST!!!!!!!

then decide if you really want to change pickups.

i don't think you will.

jackson pickups are great they just need to be set free from their plastic cell.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Rebel,

The covers were off when I got it. It's all good though.

Thanks,

Shawn
                          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by guitar geek:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Richard:
                            ...I found the steves special is not as defined in a poplar bodied guitar but in mahogony very warm....
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never had a steve's special in another body than the basswood one of the JPM. You mean that in a poplar body (like the mod 6) it does not come out really well (my english is not that great, so some lines are unfamiliar to me)? I had the choice between tonezone and a steve's special for my 6, maybe the wrong choice after all...

Harrald
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since the Model 6 is a neckthrough maple neck with poplar wings, you're getting more maple tone than poplar. Maple having a bright clear tone, seems like it would work well.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

pfiew... that is the answer I needed [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

Working...
                              X