Pickup change on a model 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup change on a model 2

You may be correct about using one in a model six.I have never used one in a neck thru.I did try a tone zone and steves special in my JS-30 bolt on and the results were ok but not any thing to rave about.The model six with the maple neck and poplar wings is totally different.I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't sound good in a model six I should have been a little more exact in my desription. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

well, I think everyone who's native language is English would have interpretated that correctly. but well, since it happens not to be my native language I sometimes have some problems with understanding it all right (so MY mistake). thanx for clearing things up! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

As long as we are on the same page all is cool.
        I have found the model six to sound good with just about any pickup in it.I worked on one for a customer that had a 70's ibanez humbucker and two jap (fender) singles,all wired into the pre amp.It sounded pretty good, different than what I was used to but not bad.

Comment

Definitely the Invader for the model 2. If you want more tonal variety replace the factory pot with a push-pull pot as a coil tap.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
            RIP OFF THE PLASTIC COVER AND CLEAN THE GLUE WITH ALCOHOL FIRST!!!!!!!

then decide if you really want to change pickups.

i don't think you will.

jackson pickups are great they just need to be set free from their plastic cell.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I ripped off the cover of the HB and there is indeed a difference, the sound is somewhat more direct. besides that the PU can be placed nearer to the strings -> increase in output, but still the sound lacks something. well, anyway it is better than it used to be.

harrald

Comment

Well i put in a dimarzio super distortion pickup in.... seems pretty good for what i want... best thing i like about the model 2 is the tone the guitar naturally has !

Comment

I've tried a JB, a 59, a custom 5,a custom all duncans work well in a model 2.
                As far as di marzios a tone zone,A steve's special,a super distortion, an evolution all sound good too.To be quite frank the only pickup that didn't sound good in a model 2 was a pj marx quad rail.

Comment

From what wood are the model 2 bodies build?
                  [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Basswood.

Comment

I have a Rio Grande BBQ Bucker in the bridge of my 1995 Hamer Special FM and it has a very good crunch and sizzle, the sizzle part is very unique in a pickup, I really like it, better than the Duncan JB. Jack.

Comment

Yes..I have changed the pick ups on all my Charvel imports (actually all of my guitars except one which already had DiMarzios 13 or so). Changing them out is the first thing I do. Since I favor passive pickups I have either Duncan's or DeMarzio's.

Here is what I have in the bridge positions

DiMarzio Super Distortion
                        DiMarzio Super 3
                        Duncan Screamin Demon (2 different guitars)
                        Duncan Custom Custom
                        Duncan Distortion
                        Duncan JB
                        Duncan Parallel Axis (Distortion)

All of these sound pretty damn good to my ears but your ears may hear something different. My two favorites are Super Distortion and the Screamin Demon. I am getting used to the PA...it is a pretty hot pickup it sounds good at all volume levels too but just a little hotter than all my others.

If you are unsure of what you think will work for you head to dimarzio.com and seymoureduncan.com and look at the charts. IMHO EMG's are over-rated sterile sounding.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hi Everybody...

I put a Dimarzio "Fred", in my Model 2 and I think it is the perfect pickup for a single pickup guitar.
                          I'm going to put one in my Soloist as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X