No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 1 replacing pup w/DM EVO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 1 replacing pup w/DM EVO?

I'm really digging my Model 1 and the stock Jackson pickup seems to be doing fine after all these years. The cover has been removed so it's an open coil bucker now. I am getting the best 80's sound out of this bad boy I have ever achieved, but I need just a little more umph out of it and especialy for leads. I have had a regular DiMarzio Evolution and an F spaced model. I could hear no difference between the two like I did when I had a non F spaced Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion and an F spaced. My F spaced Duncan was treble heavy and had almost no mids to speak of IMO. I think the Evolution is a little hotter than the Duncan JB. I think old Charvel model series axes just plain sound better with DiMarzios than they do with Duncans. Any debates on this matter or other pickup selections would be appreciated my JCF brothers.

The sound I am looking for is an Alice in Chains (Dirt era) meets LA Guns (Cocked and Loaded era). I am running it through my mutt rig that consists of the following: BOSS Metal Zone, Morely Pro Series Wah, DOD 7 band EQ, DOD delay and DOD Icebox Chorus into a late 90's model CRATE GX120 2X12 combo. I may end up going with an AVT50 half stack just because of the warmth it would add. I'm also tuning in Eb and drop D as well as E. I have my mids at 3 on my amp and on my EQ there no mids at all as I tend to suck em all out ala Metallica. I am trying to utilize sounds from other players like Jerry Cantrell, Tracy Gunns and James Hetfield as well as George Lynch and Warren Di Martini with my own twist.

I hope my needs are clearly outlined so you guys can give me your usual killer opinions.

Thanx in advance my brothers.

SARJ
Working...
X