having a debate about a model 6 circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having a debate about a model 6 circuit

I am presently having a discussion on a dutch guitarboard about the PU's in the model 6. I thought the PU's were actually passive and the only "active" thing was the midbooster. The other guy thinks the PU's are active as well...
    so right now I am somewhat confused about it, does anyone know what it is?

Harrald

Re: having a debate about a model 6 circuit

All Jackson pickups were/are passive. Only the circuits themselves are active. EMG's are active because they contain the circuit inside the pickup housing, but not Jacksons.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

This is true but maybe what those other forum members have read or heard was that certain Jackson pickups were "designed" for the active circuit such as the J50BC as found in the Model 6's. They are indeed passive though.

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

True, Dave, but remember, the Jackson pickups were invented before the active circuits. Most of the late SD era guitars had only Jackson pickups, I have a 1985 Pink Platinum Soloist Custom with a pair of J-100's and a J-50 BC in the bridge, of course, no active circuit. A lot of late 80's Jacksons used the J-90C and J-80 pickups too, all without the circuit. That said, I've used other pickups with the Jackson circuits and gotten great results.

Comment

Nobody's wrong, Dave, I'm just saying that the Jackson pickups were in use long before their active circuits. The specs didn't change either. Bottom line is that they are passive models, and not really intended for use with or without circuits. The J-50 is Jackson's version of the Duncan Jazz, the J-80 is Jackson's Duncan JB, and the J-90 their distortion model. You can get equally (if not better) impressive results with any pickup in the Jackson circuit link.

Comment

No, I'm not arguing with you at all Joe (although it is becoming rampant around here lately isn't it? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) I know you are very knowledgable in this area and I'm just trying to understand why the catalog says what it says. While I realize that just because the catalog says something, doesn't mean it's true, it just seems like a really dumb thing to say if it wasn't true that they were "Designed for use with active circuitry", when, in fact, they had been making them the same way, far before they used active circuits.
            Really Joe, not arguing with you at all, I'm just the type of person that HAS to know why.(which can be very frustrating living on this planet [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Dave->
            Dave ->

Comment

Who needs any active pups anyways when you can rip away on the Jackson J-90 or J-95. In my opinion, those two pups were absolutely the BEST Jackson ever put out. Especially the J-95's. If anyone has one that they want to get rid of CONTACT me!!! LOL Those pups RIP!
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Interesting

So you can replace the pickups in a model 6 with real single coils?
                It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

You sure can! Just wire them to a 5 way (or mini toggle in the case of a Mod. 6), just like you would with Jackson or any other type of pickups! Isn't it great? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] To understand why and how this works, all you have to do is break down the wiring diagram of a guitar with a J-1000 or J-1200 system. If you look at one, you'll see that the pickups are wired to a some sort of way to select them (toggle, blade, ect.), just like any other multiple pickup guitar. From their, the "output" of the selecter(s) goes directly to the active circuit, and yada yada....Catch my drift? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 26, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek:
                    Who needs any active pups anyways when you can rip away on the Jackson J-90 or J-95. In my opinion, those two pups were absolutely the BEST Jackson ever put out. Especially the J-95's. If anyone has one that they want to get rid of CONTACT me!!! LOL Those pups RIP!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm willing to get rid of my J95... but you've got to buy the Model 5A that it's in to get it. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

doesn't it really all boil down to the pickups being standard passive pickups wired into a midboost circuit-almost like having a little eq pedal built right into the guitar circuit? That is my understanding, but I am pretty new to this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                        doesn't it really all boil down to the pickups being standard passive pickups wired into a midboost circuit-almost like having a little eq pedal built right into the guitar circuit? That is my understanding, but I am pretty new to this stuff.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
                        Dave ->

Comment

then I was right. I already had something like [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] what the f&ck? well, that misunderstanding is solved. thanx guys!

Harrald

Comment

No sweat, Harrold, now just leave a quarter in the Community Chest! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Joe, I'm going by what was in the catalog in "86. If I'm wrong, sorry about the mis-info but it says this about the J50BC:
                              "J50BC-Accentuated High Frequency Bridge Position Humbucking. Designed for use with active circuitry"

Now I guess it's possible they may have "changed" the specs of that model pickup to facilitate better response to the "active" circuitry, right Joe?

Dave->
                              Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                              X