Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model A+: any opionons?

Guys,

Thinking about getting one, even though I can't try one as there are none locally. Any opinions on tone and playability?
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Re: Charvel Model A+: any opionons?

They are pretty sweet. I've got one. They are made in Japan though.

Comment

Hyperfuzz,

>> ...they are made in Japan though.

No problem for me - I've got a Model 1a and 1c that are 2 of my favorite guitars.

How's the playability on the Model A+? I used to have a San Dimas pointy - and similarity as far as the neck goes?
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya Pete, no prob for me either, I have a 375 Deluxe, a Professional Rhoads V and the Model A+ all made in Japan. Japan makes some pretty bad-a$$ stuff. All I was eluding to was that I suspect the admins may move this thread. No biggie to me one way or the other though.

I've never owned an SD Charvel but I'm pretty sure that I've played on a couple back in the day. Those days were a little fuzzy so I really can't comment on the dimensions of the neck and such.

Anyway, the Model A+ has a SD (Seymour) Pearly Gates at the bridge (or mine does anyway) and I really can't tell the difference from the SD Invader that I have in my USA Warrior. Granted, I run a heavy distortion pedal through a couple of other things and a Marshall so chances are, all my guitars are going to sound very similar anyway.

I will say that the neck is different than the 375 or the Rhoads V and the Warrior. It's hard to say which I prefer because I like them all.

The only thing with the newer Charvel line is that, if you actually find one, they are a bit pricey. But, if you can find one at reasonable price, like I did, they are worth giving a shot.

Comment

Hyperfuzz,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?

Comment

I just got a model a plus k (only difference is the KOA top) and I'll probably get flamed for this but I'm disappointed. Dont get me wrong its a good guitar, I just dont find it to be a great guitar. Maybe I just got a dud, but here are my specific issues

First complaint I guess is the tremolo, its just the thin metal OFR licensed type, and the tuning pegs are difficult to manipulate...I will probably end up replacing this.

Second the frets are kinda jagged along the bottom of the fretboard....I'll most likely have a tech look at this...

Third, I dont find the pearly gates to has any oomph for rhythm. I have a peavey xxx and a Carvin Legacy that I use and once again its good but not great...and I do realize that tone is totally subjective.

Otherwise it is a very comfortable guitar, solos sound great and cut through in my band very clearly, all positions of the 5 way switch are very useable...but it just seems that a Charvel of this calibre shouldnt come with this many issues....just my unsolicited .02 cents

Comment

For the money... I'd look for a mid 90s *usa* charvel. Better guitars all the way around... plus they are going to hold their value or go UP in value later.

Pete

Comment

I'd agree with some of the others.

Every *new* Charvel I've tried..(4), seemed.. OK..

It's not a terrible guitar, just un-remarkable and kinda pricey.

I find the Model series to feel nicer, and I certainly expected more for the $$$.

I'd go for a used USA for the similar $$$ if you look hard enough, or an older import and save some dough.

In the end, I think you might be happier.

[ November 01, 2003, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X