• Show
Clear All

Re: What is the original trem to a 650XL

Here is the action at the 24th fret.

<center></center>

[ October 03, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]

Comment

Note how the neck has a slight angle to it, but its a factory angle, it looks like it was made to accomodate this kind of trem. Now it plays good and all that, I am just wondering what the original is so maybe I can buy that and put it on there.

Comment

I would say that is the original.

Comment

It is going to take some getting used to. I have to work on the electronics, they put a dimarzio something in it, and have the tone in the volume spot, some boost at the end, and in the middle a volume ( i know it sounds wierd, since the chip is in the middle, and not on the end). Also takes a battery, I need to figure out what system it is, because I think I am going to just wire it as the neck and middle pickup being top of the switch, middle means all are on, and the bridge means just bridge (take the 5 way and put a 3 way in).

Check it out,
          <center><a href="http://onlinerock.com/clubs/marywithacherry//650xl4.jpg">
          </a></center>

I would put the 2 singles together as always on for the hum cancelling effect.

Would there be a way to get this refinned and keep the Charvel logo? It looks so gay as this off white color.

[ October 04, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]

Comment

I've got a 650xl that I bought new in 1990. It has the Schaller on it and looks pretty much like what you've got. In fact on one side of the bridge it reads "Charvel" & the other side reads "Schaller made in Germany". It's always held tune & I still use it today.

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb:
              I would put the 2 singles together as always on for the hum cancelling effect.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">(assuming it has the factory pickups)

The singles are already humbucking, so you don't have to worry about that.

Comment

Thanks for the info, that's good to know! I knew there was a 36 or 37mm block but wasn't sure which model it was on. Maybe the neck's not tilted as much as the 42mm or is it just the way the springs are angled?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, no problem! The neck is tilted back to the same degree as the earlier models (like a Model 5), it looks like that the springs are just angled to a higher degree.

To Deneb:
                I'm pretty sure the electronics in your guitar is the JE-1200 Mid-Boost Low impedance system, the same system found in the earlier Model 4's and 6's. It's not really a real active pickup system like EMGS, but rather more of an active tone boost. But it looks like the volume and tone components were switched in your guitar. I'm curious as to why that was done.

And the single coils are actually J200 Bi-level humbuckers, so you shouldn't get the single-coil hum when using one by itself. However, I haven't entirely figured out the 5 way switch in the 650. I get no buzz in the 1 and 5 positions (the bridge p/u and the neck p/u by themselves), but I do get some buzz in the 2,3,and 4 positions of the 5 way switch. I haven't tinkered with it enough to figure out what combinations of p/us are being used in those positions.
                This switch looks different and acts different than the JE-0005 Jackson 5-way switch that's on the Model 5. With the Model 5 I don't get any buzz in any position, but it's a difficult comparison since it has a different p/u configuration (hum-hum).

As far as refin'ing the guitar, it'll probably cost more to do it than what you paid for the guitar. White, or aged-white isn't that bad of a color, is it? My Model 2 is that color, and I think it looks kinda classy, although I think it looks better with a chrome Floyd than the original black one.

Oh and to be complete, the original bridge p/u is a Jackson J-50BC, which were original stock on the Model 4's and 6's. If you're looking to return it to stock I might be able to hook you up with one.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I should have explained, I know that they used hum cancelling singles it in, but I dont get that effect with it now, then again, whoever had it before could have messed the wiring up.

I figured I would just rip it apart, wire it for a tone, a volume and a 5 way switch at first, if I didnt like it, or the hum was still there, I would put in a 3 way and go with the original plan.

Nah, mine looks more yellow than aged white, the old malmsteen I had was more of an aged white, this is like a rotten egg white [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                    .. Also, be aware that the trem block is longer on the non-recessed ones compared to the recessed. If you ever want to replace the Floyd on it, make sure you get one with the longer 42mm sustain block as opposed to the 32mm block. I think there's also a 36mm block on certain models, not sure which ones, though.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never saw that mentioned on the schaller website. what kind of sustainblock do they have nowadays, because this gives me a nasty feeling, because I am going to pick up a schaller floyd next week for my model 6... so probably that one does not fit?

harrald

Comment

Originally posted by guitar geek:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                      .. Also, be aware that the trem block is longer on the non-recessed ones compared to the recessed. If you ever want to replace the Floyd on it, make sure you get one with the longer 42mm sustain block as opposed to the 32mm block. I think there's also a 36mm block on certain models, not sure which ones, though.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never saw that mentioned on the schaller website. what kind of sustainblock do they have nowadays, because this gives me a nasty feeling, because I am going to pick up a schaller floyd next week for my model 6... so probably that one does not fit?

harrald
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know what Schaller uses nowadays, but I'd think the shorter block, since it's more common to have non-recessed Floyds nowadays. The blocks can be swapped out for longer or shorter, so if it's not the right one, see if Schaller can give you a longer block or maybe Doc or someone else can trade you for the right size block. If you use the longer block on a recessed guitar, the block will stick out too far and you won't be able to put the cavity cover back on. If it's the opposite, the angle might be off with the strings on the shorter block like MetalMedal mentioned.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just checked the dimensions on warmoth.com where a diagram with all measures is given of a schaller floyd II and there the block was 42 mm, so that should not be the biggest problem I guess.

Harrald

Comment

I've gotten a couple of new Schaller Floyds recently, one new and boxed locally in Oz and another new OEM one from a fellow JCFer and both are still very old school in their accessories. Both have the 42mm block like an 80's guitar and both also came with the nut bolts that go thru the neck. I'm keeping the 42mm block for the guitars in question, but have ordered new top mounting nut screws.

Comment

Working...
                          X