Needin some JCF advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needin some JCF advice....

Just scored a sweet Model 3 from a local pawn shop.Plays like a champ,actually looks brand new.Seems to be heavier than all my other Charvels.2 humbuckers and a crappy Kahler. I would have no problem having a floyd installed,but there is no one that I would trust in my area to do it.Seems no body wants mess with the job and the ones I found that said"Well,I can give it a shot" I would'nt let wash my car much less touch my guitars.Throw me some ideas fellas....Thanks Rev.Timmy
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Re: Needin some JCF advice....

When you say it has a Kahler, you mean the "traditional" type that floats on 2 posts sort of like a floyd?

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

2HB sounds like you have a 3A. My suggestion would be to put it on the bay or the classifieds and try to score another 3A with a JT-6...

Sorry... that's the best I can suggest. I'd really hate for someone where you're at to screw up a 3A when I'm sure someone out there is looking for one with a Kahler.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Yes Dave, it has two posts like a Floyd.And I did think about selling it,but I don't know if I can.This guitar is sweet.I have 7 other Charvels in the Model series( They are great players....Shhh don't tell anyone)Ha!And this one is different,its heavier than the others and just puts out a special vibe....You guys know what i'm talking about......Thus my mind becomes more clouded.......
        Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

There's a black 3A with a Kahler like yours on Ebay right now. If it's in good shape that bridge will be fine. If you MUST have a Floyd the posts will need to be filled and new ones drilled for the Floyd as the spacing is different. The main problem with that trem is it's usually been abused and wrecked at this point in it's life but your guitar sounds like it's still in great shape so if you like it a lot, just keep her as is. Just my opinion.

Comment

Vic is right, if the Kahler is in good condition just enjoy it! Those old Kahler fulcrums aren't as bad as everyone would have you believe.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Rev T, I have had my Model 3a for over 18 years with the Kahlor Fulcrum trem. I have never had any problems out of it. When I bought mine everyone was slamming that trem. It's turned out to be one of my most reliable set ups. If your Model 3 is in good condition I wouldn't modify unless you can't come to terms with the Kahlor. That trem is alot easier to restring than any Floyd. Just something to think about.

Comment

I have to agree. If your style of play doesn't include fierce divebombs you should be good to go. The only downside with these Kahlers is that they are only locked at the nut so they can go out of tune fairly easily with aggressive use of the trem. Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them when set up correctly.

Dave->
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

The main thing that can cause those to go out of tune easily is when the rollers get all gunked up and can't turn freely. Clean it good and make sure the rollers turn freely then spray it down with WD40. The ones I've had stayed in tune very well, even under heavy trem use.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                  X