help me to identify my guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help me to identify my guitar

As far as sound goes, I've never had a guitar completely made from poplar so I can't give you an opinion. It can't be too bad as it is used on the model 6's but those are just the "wings" on each side of the maple neck-through body.

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Uhhhhh... the only woods that I recognize by their colors are the morning woods. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey!!
        I`ve got a Charvel wich i bought in London in 1987. The neck plate says; Charvel by Jackson/Charvel. P.O. box 2344 Fort Worth TX 76113 USA. The number on the plate is 237880.
        I don`t know if this is US made or not. I can`t find any match with the serial numbers listed on the Jackson website. It`s a Kahler tremolo on the guitar. A small card/checklist was attached to the instrument when i bought it. It says; mod. 3A.
        Can anyone help me out on this one????
        I could attach a picture if i knew how to do it????

Comment

at a guess, I'd say it's a Model 3A, made in Japan [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Quote geir7777: "A small card/checklist was attached to the instrument when i bought it. It says; mod. 3A."

Well geir, I'd say that could possibly be a model 3A......and Ft Worth TX is in the USA isn't it? So there ya go.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by geir7777:
              Hey!!
              I`ve got a Charvel wich i bought in London in 1987. The neck plate says; Charvel by Jackson/Charvel. P.O. box 2344 Fort Worth TX 76113 USA. The number on the plate is 237880.
              I don`t know if this is US made or not. I can`t find any match with the serial numbers listed on the Jackson website. It`s a Kahler tremolo on the guitar. A small card/checklist was attached to the instrument when i bought it. It says; mod. 3A.
              Can anyone help me out on this one????
              I could attach a picture if i knew how to do it????
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Get a grip on your leg because mm2002 is pulling it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If what you have there is a dual humbucker, strat shaped guitar with a pointed headstock with a pointy headstock guitar charvel logo, then yes, you do have a Model 3A. All of the models with the Fort Worth PO Box and the aforementioned logo are imported from japan as VitaminG said.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanksalot!!

It`s correct!! Pointy and 2 humbuckers.

I guess Texas isn`t always in the US, or maybe the builder of my guitar was a little bit confused about his geographi knowledge?

I`m new in this game, so i`ll ask all the stupid questions i need to get wiser(if possible).

Nice guitar, good sound, but made in Japan??
                How bad is that??
                Is there any modyficasions i could do to make me and my Charvel feel better???

Comment

Thanksalot!!

It`s correct!! Pointy and 2 humbuckers.

I guess Texas isn`t always in the US, or maybe the builder of my guitar was a little bit confused about his geographi knowledge?

I`m new in this game, so i`ll ask all the stupid questions i need to get wiser(if possible).
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Last I checked Texas is still part of the Union. (Sully you guys causing a ruckus out there again?) All Charvel import models are labeled with that on their plates...

Nice guitar, good sound, but made in Japan??
                  How bad is that??
                  Is there any modyficasions i could do to make me and my Charvel feel better???
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What more do you want? I've always felt that modifying a guitar is a personal decision. But if you wanna know, the modification I make on all my import Charvels is to replace the JT-6 tremolo with an original Floyd Rose. As far as pickups, I'm looking into switching all of mine with Seymour Duncans.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem would be with made in Japan, but you'll find a great many here (myself included) who will say that the Charvel "Model" guitars, quality-wise are on par with the USA made Charvels or Jacksons.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Great!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Feel a bit wiser now. At least i know what i have hanging around.

Do you know what kind of wood they`d used to make this piece, and what brand are the humbuckers(JT-6)??

Glad to hear Texas is still a part of your union...... you never know these days!!!!!

Comment

Ehh, we had a little skirmish in the 1860's, but I think we worked it all out. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Body wood is Basswood. The pickups in a Model 3A are both Jackson J80C humbuckers.

A JT-6 is the tremolo. Licensed Floyd Rose with the fine-tuners and string lock screw incorporated into the back end of the tremolo. Some think it's fine, but I personally like the fine tuners on top like the original floyd rose.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

I feel so lonely here......I think I'm the only one on this board that likes the JT6. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                          I feel so lonely here......I think I'm the only one on this board that likes the JT6. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wrongo bud, I still use them and they work just fine. I prefer a OFR, but I'm not running out and replacing all mine!!

By the way, I put up pics of some of my guitars in this thread, have a look!

"show us your gear!"

Dave->
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

The JT-6 is a good tremolo, but I just don't like the position of the fine tuners. Aestetically, it just looks too bulky for my tastes.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope! I LOVE the JT-6!

Oh and geir7777 There is not one thing wrong with the imported Charvels. In fact the 86-88 Model series are my favorite guitars of all time.

The only thing that I would change on my 3a would be the neck pickup. the 2 j80's just sound too much alike to me. I'm going to drop a J-50 in the neck position one of these days. (or maybe put a j95 in the bridge)

Comment

happy to hear the good news!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The only problem i ever had with this guitar is some distortion when the volume is on top. I`v read a lot about bad setups etc. from the factory. I don`t have any experience with adjusting guitars, but a guy in the local music store(close to the north pole)told me to wax the humbuckers to solve the problem. It worked, but there must be some other possible solution???? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X