Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help To Identify Model

Hi,

I'm new here. Have lurked for a while and used your knowledge when picking up a japanese 750XL. However I have been offered a Charvel that is US made. I don't know the model and hence am finding it difficult to look around and get an idea on prices!!

The guitar LOOKS like a model 88. Same shape, mahogany body,bolt on neck. Reverse pointy headstock, guitar logo, two humbuckers, the bridge one being at an offset angle. Charvel "under licence" floyd rose trem. The
    neck plate says "Fort Worth" and the serial # is 0510. The guy says that it's one of the first Charvels made..... this could be inaccurate.
    The guitar is in average condition, used but not abused.

Please can anyone advise me on what model they think it is? Does the serial # indicate a very early one and if so what do you guys reckon that it is worth?

Thanks

Dave [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 24, 2003, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Rigsby ]

Re: Help To Identify Model

Sounds like a Model 88 alright. The Fort Worth plate means that it was made in Japan. I don't know what is up with that serial. I thought the first serialised Charvel was 1001. The licensed Charvel Floyds didn't come out until Charvel production was moved to Japan. So everything points to it being a Model 88.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Definitely a Japanese 1988 Model 88. The serial number is also the giveaway as all the other Japanese/Ft.Worth neckplates have 6 digits.

Comment

Did some of the Model 88's come with 2 hums? Or would that be an add-on afterwards?

Comment

The hum was added. All 88's were single hum. I think that would hurt the value of that guitar so I wouldn't pay too much for it, although I'm sure it's a great player. I'd pay maybe $250.00 to $300.00 if I really wanted it. Just my opinion.

[ October 24, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'd like to get one of those one day if one becomes available at the right time. I had only seen them with one hum though.

Comment

About the serial #

I believe it was a special number because the Model 88 was a "limited edition" (one of 1000?).

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
                About the serial #

I believe it was a special number because the Model 88 was a "limited edition" (one of 1000?).
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or in this case, #510 of 1000! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Its a shame it got routed for the second hum.Killed the value for sure but I'll bet it sounds good with the other hum in there.I wouldnt go over 250.00 300.00 tops I want one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hi again and thanks for the replies. Sorry that I initially posted this in the Charvel USA section. I assumed that as the neckplate had Fort Worth on it that the guitars was a US made axe.

I will check again to see the "neck" pick up. At first glance it did not look like a retro-fit so I will check this again to confirm.

Comment

Working...
                    X