Model 1 vs. Model 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1 vs. Model 2

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum. Back in the day, I had a Model 3, 7, and a US Soloist.

I'm thinking of buying a project Model 1 or 2. I know it's a rookie question, but what's the difference between the two models? I don't want to spend a lot of $, and may end up just buying body now, neck later, etc. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

-JP

Re: Model 1 vs. Model 2

The major thing is a the Model 2 had a Floyd and the Model 1 had a vintage trem.

Model 1's also came with 3 single coil, strat pickguard version as well as a single humbucker version.

Comment

What I want is a single-hum body for sure. I'm assuming by "vintage trem" you mean strat-style? If so, that would be okay. I'd take either. (I actually prefer a hardtail.)

Thanks!

-JP

Comment

A 1 hum Model 1?!?

I haven't seen that one yet....

Isn't that a perfect description for a Model 2?!? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

1 Hum + v-trem = model 1 (and hopefully a maple/maple neck [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] )
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

> Speaking of which,there is a black Model 1 with maple neck at a store about 45 minutes from me in Tennessee,along with a ivory Model 4 with Kahler,which has 2 saddles missing,both of which can probably be had CHEAP,let me know and I'll see what I can find out for ya,or you can look under the dealer locator for Rollins Music in Dyersburg,Tn. Both appeared to be in pretty good overall shape,other that the 4 missing the B and high E saddles. I was there when the owners mother was haggling to trade it in on a Peavey of some kind for her 12 yr old. Tommy D.
            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

I cant beleive he's not seen a model 1 with 1 hum and vintage trem.There is one at music go round in Louisville Ky.(outer loop location)red maple/maple. Neck is nice body is ok paint is rough.The pickup is an Ibanez hum (70s)out put is 8.5 very creamy pickup.It was mine,all around a very solid guitar.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So did the single hum Model 1 have a pickguard? I definitely don't want a pickguard on my axe.

Richard -- Any idea how much they want for your old guitar at Music Go Round?

-JP

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
                  A 1 hum Model 1?!?

I haven't seen that one yet....

Isn't that a perfect description for a Model 2?!? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This should help(right Mark? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Not the best pic but Model 1 has just 1 humbucker with vintage fulcrum trem, Model 1a has 3 singles with pickguard and fulcrum trem, and Model 2 has 1 hum and JT6. This was from the '87 brochure.

Dave->
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbeat Son:
                    So did the single hum Model 1 have a pickguard? I definitely don't want a pickguard on my axe.

Richard -- Any idea how much they want for your old guitar at Music Go Round?

-JP
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No pickguard on the model 1 either. There is one on the Model 1a though.

Dave->
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Okay.. I see that now.

I guess I never saw a *real* Model 1.

I've seen plenty of Model 1As tho..

Comment

Dave, the model 1s didn't have headstocks?? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                        [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

It's detatchable...

Look at the bottom of the page.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Cool! Thanks a lot for the info guys!

-JP

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
                              The major thing is a the Model 2 had a Floyd and the Model 1 had a vintage trem.

Model 1's also came with 3 single coil, strat pickguard version as well as a single humbucker version.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some Model 2s have Kahler Pros or Kahler Fulcrum trems on them. All Model 1s had vintage trems, and the ones with 3 single coils and pickguard are Model 1As, technically a separate model.

Double-check what you bid on, as I've seen several Model 1s sold as Model 2s on Ebay. I've told the sellers their error, but they never edit the ad to reflect that it's the slightly lower model. If you are happy with a vintage trem the Model 1's for you, but maybe you can get it a bit cheaper.

[ October 26, 2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X