Pickups for a Charvel 750xl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for a Charvel 750xl?

I just received JCFer Archtop's red string-thru Charvel 750xl and I would like to put some red Duncans in there.

The guitar is for the leader of my Church band. I took him to see Stryper and he liked the tones so much, he wanted me to get him a Jackson or a Charvel. He is mainly a PRS guy, so he doesn't want anything as heavy as EMGs or the Duncan Distortion.

I know that the JB & 59 sounds good in mahogany guitars, but I was also was thinking about a Duncan Custom in the bridge with the JB in the neck. Any thoughts?

Re: Pickups for a Charvel 750xl?

On Seymour Duncan's website, they have a generator, you enter a few bits of data about the guitar and they give you some suggestions. I highly reccomend it, I used it when I re-worked my Kramer Pacer.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

why stick only to duncans? some duncans are great, but DiMarzio makes some cool PU's as well. Steve's Special for example in a mahogany guitar is very warm, as far as I heared.

Harrald

Comment

I'm happy with the stock J-80/J-50 in my 750xl. I've put LOTS of different stuff in there, and keep coming back to the original p/u's.
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
          On Seymour Duncan's website, they have a generator, you enter a few bits of data about the guitar and they give you some suggestions. I highly reccomend it, I used it when I re-worked my Kramer Pacer.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tekky, you are the man! I keep forgetting about the Tone Wizard.

Lo and behold, it suggests either the JB & 59 or the Custom & Jazz. I think the Custom & Jazz just may be the ticket in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tekky, you are the man! I keep forgetting about the Tone Wizard.

Lo and behold, it suggests either the JB & 59 or the Custom & Jazz. I think the Custom & Jazz just may be the ticket in this one.

Comment

Fritz;

the tonewizard is a nice thing, but not all of their PU's are used in it: for example: they forgot the lil' screaming demon. I can tell you: it sounds really good for all kinds of styles, better than a lot of other PU's, but it is not taken into account in the tonewizard.

my advice is: it is worth to do something untraditional in a great guitar like a 750XL. I did that with my 6 and it came out great!

Harrald

Comment

Originally posted by guitar geek:
                Fritz;

the tonewizard is a nice thing, but not all of their PU's are used in it: for example: they forgot the lil' screaming demon. I can tell you: it sounds really good for all kinds of styles, better than a lot of other PU's, but it is not taken into account in the tonewizard.

my advice is: it is worth to do something untraditional in a great guitar like a 750XL. I did that with my 6 and it came out great!

Harrald
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not sure I get your example though... The lil' Screamin' Demon is a single-coil sized humbucker and the 750XL is a dual humbucker config guitar whereas your Model 6 is HSS config. Are you saying that in the Tone Wizard that you've tried an application for your model 6 and it didn't suggest the LSD?
                Occupy JCF

Comment

yes, theit database of possible combinations is to limited.

Harrald

Comment

That's kinda what I thought. I purposely tried to get the pickup to show up, and it didn't.

Hmmm maybe they don't like it anymore. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

and I can tell you: that is real shame (both that it is limited and that the lil screamin is ruled ou), because IMO it is by far the best humbucker in singlecoilsize one can put in the neck of a guitar.

but this is offtopic.

Harrald

Comment

Ah, the 750, the finest Charvel ever made, US or not. But the consensus here is that they sound best with EMG pickups. Most every 750 in the Gallery is so equipped. Duncans don't seem to do it for me in this model. And the Jackson pickups were sadly not compatible with the 750 at all.
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                          Ah, the 750, the finest Charvel ever made, US or not.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ooof. I had a 750, it was a great guitar (Greg Crowe has it now) - but finest Charvel ever made?

Pete

Comment

I dunno Pete, Joe may be correct. But then I've got a thing for Archtops, so I'm biased.
                            The 750 was the only Charvel that ever appealed to me. I don't care for tremolos, bolt-ons,
                            or graphics and the 750 was the only Charvel I know of that didn't have any of these
                            features and was also offered as a string-thru version.
                            (Well, there was the LS1, but ick.)

[ October 31, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Archtop ]

Comment

Originally posted by Archtop:
                              I dunno Pete, Joe may be correct. But then I've got a thing for Archtops, so I'm biased.
                              The 750 was the only Charvel that ever appealed to me. I don't care for tremolos, bolt-ons,
                              or graphics and the 750 was the only Charvel I know of that didn't have any of these
                              features and was also offered as a string-thru version.
                              (Well, there was the LS1, but ick.)
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I see your and Joe's points, but I've owned and played some San Dimas Charvels that were KILLER... I was over at Greg's house last week and played his prepro strathead. What a killer guitar! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X