Alder model series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alder model series?

I just heard of a few cases of Alder made model series. Has anyone else encountered these?
    I THINK mine is basswood but it's way heavier than any Ibanez RG for instance...

I guess anything is possible, but by spec they were all basswood except the neck-thrus.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

The bolt-on bodies for the most part were basswood. The only exceptions were the trans colored Model 7 which is Ash and the Model 88 which is African Ribbon Mahogany. The neck-thru bodies are poplar with a Maple centerblock.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
        I guess anything is possible, but by spec they were all basswood except the neck-thrus.
        And yes, some of them seem heavier than others for whatever reason.

Comment

That's what I told him yeah. Now that's cleared about the 7, but I'm still very curious about the model 4. Has anyone on here ever seen an Alder one then? My own model 4 and even my model 1a are pretty heavy guitars.

Comment

They were never alder. The heavier basswood could be because of a cut of wood closer to the center of the tree where the wood was more dense, but no, not alder.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Basswood, as well as poplar, can vary in weight. The neck-thru models were poplar, and my old '87 Model 6 weighed a lot compared to my '88 Model 5A.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My guess is that those heavier wooden bodies could have been cut from the root section of the tree. Wood is typically more dense at the root area of larger trees, where is has been compacted through many years of pressure from the upper part.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Hail yesterday

Comment

My 1a is a boat anchor - definately heavier than my LP. So Basswood varies.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Excuse my original post! I always forget about the 88's and 7's!

Comment

Working...
                      X