Need Help IDing (Model 6?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help IDing (Model 6?)

Hi, I have a Charvel Model 6 that I´m considering gettin rid of for a San Dimas Rhoads, and I´m looking to suss i out a bit.

Generally, it seems to be a late 80´s / early 90´s Model 6. Neckthru, Sharkfins and Binding, Rosewood board,JT6-trem, Jackson or Charvel Pickups (No logo) white Charvel By J/C logo, C serial stamped on Fretboard end, blablabla.

What confuses me, and a few others, is the paintjob. I´ve never seen another like it, and as far as I know the Japanese ghostbuilders didn´t do one off paintjobs and such.

Paint goes all around, including headstock.

Anybody got any info on this for me? The axe is in near mint condition, 2 small dings if I remember right. One pinhead on the head, and a small ding in the back. What can I consider a fair priice for the axe?

Re: Need Help IDing (Model 6?)

I can't tell, but does it have three on/off switches like a Model 6 or does it have a five-way blade switch? At any rate, I'd say it's an aftermarket paintjob.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
      I can't tell, but does it have three on/off switches like a Model 6 or does it have a five-way blade switch? At any rate, I'd say it's an aftermarket paintjob.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">3 Mini-Switches

I don´t think it´s aftermarket, tho, as I bought the axe New in ´92 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thats a Model 6, I can barely make out the switches.

Sweet Axe. I'm 99.9% sure the paint job is aftermarket.

Never heard of any custom paint jobs on the Model series.

Plus the fact that the Model 6 was never *new* after 1988. -Discontinued

[ November 01, 2003, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

I meant to say 1989. If you were told it was new in 1992, you wuz robbed. NOS maybe, but not with THAT paint job.

And Dude, if you can get a SD out of the value of that guitar.. you're a very lucky man, as it's worth squat next to a San Dimas.

It's a great guitar, but they don't sell well these days.

Comment

Hmm, now I´m starting to wonder, as the axe had hung in the shop for like 5 years before I tried and bought her, so NOS would be the right word. But again, she hung there forever and a day, literally years, with that paintjob. So I´m kinda wondering when she could have been refinished. Possible it is though .. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

BTW: I know I won´t get SD value, but chucking a Japanese charvel to make room for one is ok ;D

[ November 01, 2003, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Zerberus ]

Comment

Sorry 4 Double post, edit time was out.

What I just remembered, which is probably the main reason I´m still skeptical about the refin: Unbound headstock. I don´t know if they sometimes had, sometimes didnt. But off the top of my head I can´t recall seeing another w/o binding...

FWIW

Comment

That is wacky! I'd like to see better pics of the whole guitar, front and back if that's possible. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I´ll post a whole set on Monday, after work. Maybe on Sunday, depends on when the LAN ends [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Unbound head stock you say now???

Bound neck without a bound headstcok, I don't think I've seen that on ANY import.

Thats very wierd. The only Model series guitar with an unbound headstock with HSS config,3 mini switches and 3 knobs and Sharkfins is a Model 4, which of course is a bolt on. And even then the whole neck is unbound.

Is it possible the headstock was re-painted?

We really need to see some better pics.

[ November 01, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

I am really shure this is an aftermarkt paintjob as said by others, if so: the headstock was repainted as wel. My guess would be that they did not tape the bindings to well when doing this, so there must be a binding, but that would be under the graphic. By the way: cool graphic!!

Harrald

Comment

toejam: A five-way is not an indication of whether or not it's a Model 6. I wasn't aware of it until I had a guy call asking about what model his guitar was one day and the damn five-way was throwing me. Turns out that some of the early Model 6's had five-way switches. [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, earlier models had five-ways? Interesting. Thanks for the info. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

BM, are you just yanking our chains with that info or are you serious? Early Model 6's had 5 ways on them?

Thanks,
                            Dave->
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

He's on the level. Kevin told me that they had tried several combinations and configurations before they settled on the current "model" series that we know today...
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X