Need Help IDing (Model 6?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help IDing (Model 6?)

Wow, that's pretty amazing that the 3 switches was the style they chose since most like the 5 way switch better. I'm Bi-switchable(not bisexual! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) as I like either type [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

how come nobody asked what he wants for it. i'm a bass player so i don't know really what it's worth but i'm curious.
      The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Good question! Well, what d'ya want for it? Maybe I'll take it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
        Dave ->

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
          Wow, that's pretty amazing that the 3 switches was the style they chose since most like the 5 way switch better. I'm Bi-switchable(not bisexual! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) as I like either type [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I actually prefer the 3 switches to the blade switch myself. I got a H/S/S Jackson body not too long ago, and the blade switch route is going to be filled and the mini switches put in. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

One thing.. I can understand that Jackson may have mixed and matched configs in the early stages.

However, the JT6 or other fulcrum-style Kahlers didn't enter production until a year later, 87.. correct?!? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ November 02, 2003, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

A sure fire way to find out the guitar's year would be the location of the serial number.
              On the fretboard= `87 or later.
              On the back of the headstock= `86

At least I think that's how it works.
              [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Some of the early '87s had the serial # on the back of the headstock also. The easiest way to tell is that '86s have Kahlers, while '87-88's have JT6 Floyds.

Comment

I've seen it the other way around. On an early `87, there was a Kahler as opposed to a FLoyd and the serial # was stamped into the fretboard. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Dammit no edit!!!
                    Anyways I meant JT-6 not Floyd.

Comment

None of the early imports were available with graphics and there is no doubt that was painted after the guitar was built and had left the factory. As to the year, what is the serial? Is the logo "toothpaste" or old style guitar shaped? Very easy to date the instrument. Looks probably like a Model 6 with the JT-6 installed...
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Ok dudes, I wanted to take pics this evening, but the batteries of my Digicam died, I´ll get new ones tomorrow and post ´em [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BUT: I did take a REEEAL good look at the headstock logo, it seemed to be "deeper" than it should. It has 2 tiny dings, front and back tip.

And guess what: after a real close inspection, Geek seems to have been right, the binding was overpainted. The whole thing was a top notch job, the logo seems to be the original (Guitar style, btw), perfectly sprayed around. Serial at the Board end is C704259.

So, that would, If I´m not off, make it a pro refinished/ oversprayed Model 6, with mini switches and JT-6. Or?

What do you guys seem would be a fair asking price? Has one small ding on the back, no back cover, otherwise more or less perfect condition, very little fret and board wear, one of the hardest necks I´ve ever seen (straight as an arrow, btw). Non original humbucker ring and possibly pickup, I´m still not quite sure on that, I´d check it before a sale, tho [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jackson ABS Hardshell included.

I´m thinking in the range of 5-600 bucks? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I´m not good on japanese Charvels, this is the last of ´em [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

1987 Charvel Model 6, all original most likely. They used oversized humbucking pickup rings, so what looks like a non original is likely the original. All three pickups were originally covered in a black epoxy like EMG's. The JT-6 and mini toggles are original. You're pretty much on with your estimate of its value. Seems like they can get that much on eBay these days.
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                            ...They used oversized humbucking pickup rings, so what looks like a non original is likely the original...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It´s exactly the other way around, the current Ring is a "standard" sized one, that´s why I said non original [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just got off work, stores closed an hour ago (I´m in Germany), so pics will have to wait till tomorrow, again [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

But many thanks to all that helped on this [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I can help you with some of the parts you may want for the Model 6. Such as the back cover and correct size pickup ring if you'd like. Shoot me an email at:

[email protected]

Thanks,
                              Dave->
                              Dave ->

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                                I can help you with some of the parts you may want for the Model 6. Such as the back cover and correct size pickup ring if you'd like. Shoot me an email at:

[email protected]

Thanks,
                                Dave->
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I May very well come back to you at that, I HATE selling non-Stock axes. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Do you possibly have an original Pickup as well?Again, I´m not sure yet, has dimarzio type poles, but doesn´t look like a dimarzio ( [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] ) or a Full Shred, either...

BTW, all pickups have exposed poles, if they were supposedly "epoxied", somewhat strange...

I really need to dissasemble her, I think [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But Again, the Original Parts I´m definiteley Interested in, pickups, rings, BOTH plates( El cover is warped), the rest seems original.

BTW: The electronics are full passive, no Mid boost (like the gutted, FuttBucked ´88 Soloist I just git, pics soon, This was the Auction: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ory=33044&rd=1 ), And the middle knob is a "bridge only knob, kind of like to dial a Hio output humbucker in to a set of Lo output SCs.

Is this Kosher? Some of it smells funny, especially the Pickup and the "missing" mid boost...

I´d Like to sell this ax as "only refinished with a few dings", any help in parts procurement MAY be paid for in German Beer, depending on Value [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Or let me bunk at your place if you´re in Texas and have room in January. Two nights on me( *****s each for his own), at least all drinks and food. Think a Crazy Texan, raised in Germany on good strong beer and Amsterdam Dope, with 80% Iron in his blood, and that hates anything that goes pop (Possibly excluding a Nine [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). I vote for Visiting Dime and Vinnies Joint [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Any takers? Alternatively, vou pay the evenings ( Same chick rule) and get the Charvel [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ November 04, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Zerberus ]

Comment

Working...
                                X