Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The dreaded "what model" question again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded "what model" question again...

I'll bet you guys are sick of the "What Model is my Charvel?" questions, so I apologize in advance--but I really need you dudes' input. I just bought my first Charvel. It's supposed to be a Model 3, but I wonder about that. I've tried to do the homework, scoured a bunch of online resources and web boards for answers, but I'm still stumped.

Anyway, my Charvel has a bolt-on neck, 22 frets, sharkfin inlay, 3 knobs (vol, tone, active mid boost), HSS Jackson pups with three toggle switches, Jackson Floyd trem with "backward" facing tuners/string clamps, serial no. 2975XX. Any idea on the model type? It doesn't look like any Model 3s I've seen on the Net. It looks like a Model 4 to me--Model 6 has a neck-thru, right? Thanks!

Re: The dreaded "what model" question again...

As a follow-up, I looked at the neckplate. It says: "Charvel, PO Box 2344, Fort Worth, TX 76113, USA". I thought this was an import, but is it a USA model? I thought the US models were only made in San Dimas and then Ontario, CA? Obviously, I'm reeeeeal confused.

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like a Model 4 but I don't understand the "Jackson Floyd trem with "backward" facing tuners/string clamps"

Not sure what you mean there. Got pics?

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

sounds like an '87-88 Model 4 with JT-6 trem [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

any guitar with a Ft Worth plate was made in Japan. That was the address of Jackson's corporate HQ.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

YEP model 4 with a JT-6 87-88
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks a million for the replys! I appreciate the help. Here's a link to a Charvel that looks like mine (except mine's blue) to give you an idea what I mean about the "backwards-facing" trem screws--

http://www.badmanguitars.com/PICT0042_small.JPG

Agai, thanks, and I'm having a blast. Glad I'm "in the club"! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

"backwards-facing" trem screws refers to the fact that the JT-6 has the fine tuners as part of the assembly of the string lock screw and sticks out of the back of the tremolo.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

I was kinda thinking that's what he meant but I wanted more info before stating that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

also, i dont believe the neck on it is orignal, they were produced with dot inlays, not sharkies.

Comment

Originally posted by john:
                    also, i dont believe the neck on it is orignal, they were produced with dot inlays, not sharkies.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dots in 86, sharks in 87 & 88, I recall.

- E.
                    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Re: The dreaded &quot;what model&quot; question again...

" "backwards-facing" trem screws refers to the fact that the JT-6 has the fine tuners as part of the assembly of the string lock screw and sticks out of the back of the tremolo. "

Thank you, well said. You can see, I'm also a moron! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You guys rock! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Thanks for the help!

Comment

The "Badman" Tony G in the flesh! He still lives!
                        Don't screw with the "Badman" from Jersey!!!
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

John the model 4 did come with shark fins starting in 87 and came with dots in 86 usually find kahler models with the dots and JT-6 with the shark fins.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

OK, the inevitable dreaded follow-up question: what were Japanese Model 4s going for new, back in the day?

Comment

Working...
                            X