Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts?

It's funny. We were discussing Charvettes on a local guitar forum because quite a few of them are turning up for sale at good (low) prices. One of the guys there had just bought a 150 and was raving about it. This person had not played a nice Charvel before.

And it made me wonder...With all the Model guitars appreciating, will Charvettes be the next guitar to have? I'm exclusively talking about the Japanese ones with maple necks and basswood bodies. Not the Korean (Plywood) junk. Ok, so they had a shitty trem and none of the lovely mid-boost circuitry, but still...if you can upgrade the trem you could have a nice guitar for very little money.

Thoughts guys?

I've always stayed away from the Charvettes due to their dubious (due mainly to the Korean ones) reputation...but maybe I was wrong?
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

I've been wondering about these too. There's a ton of them going on ebay for cheap. How do you tell the korean made ones from the Japanese.
    karl

Comment

There was talk at the Custom Shop clinic about Charvettes. Tim Wilson mentioned that he has or had, can't remembere exactly, a Charvette that was one of his favorite guitars. He had one of the early ones. The later ones were crap. I don't know how to tell the difference.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by memphiskat
        I've been wondering about these too. There's a ton of them going on ebay for cheap. How do you tell the korean made ones from the Japanese.
        karl
        Dot spacing on the fretboard. Apparently the dots at the 12th fret on the Korean ones are further apart than on the Japanese guitars...otherwise, check the body to see if it's basswood or plywood.

They even have reverse headstocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm
          Tim Wilson mentioned that he has or had, can't remembere exactly, a Charvette that was one of his favorite guitars. He had one of the early ones.
          That's really ironic. The early ones were MIJ.

Comment

By looking at the Charvette models, the 250, 170 and 270 has "narrow" dot spacing. Just a thought. They might be MIJ.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I think the important thing to remember when you're talking about appreciation is popularity of the model. The Model Series Charvels were popular when they were originally produced. When the Model series was replaces with the toothpaste logos, there was the common misconception was that the toothepasties were inferior to the Model series, so these did not sell as well. Now, I don't think Charvette's were ever really that popular or desired, so I can't imagine that there would be a demand for them. I persaonally blacklisted them a long long time ago - it would be hard for me to take one seriously.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Yes, the model series was popular and fetched top dollar new. I remember going to the local dealers and getting sticker shock! A new model 5 or 6 was more than a used LP!
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk
                  Now, I don't think Charvette's were ever really that popular or desired, so I can't imagine that there would be a demand for them.
                  I'm just saying that if they play well and some in fact are MIJ, then they may well be a bargain guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary
                    I'm just saying that if they play well and some in fact are MIJ, then they may well be a bargain guitar.
                    No doubt. I just have 16 years of prejudice built up against them since when I was young and impressionable, my guitar hero told me, "Charvette's are junk." Old dogs and tricks, you understand.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Well...
                      I had a 270 when I started electric guitar. It was a nice guitar that got the job done (despite its yellow crackle finish! ). Harmonics screamed nicely and bends were easy (24"75), but I realized neck playability (legato, for example) was a pain on it when I changed for a strat (early 90's classic floyd rose w/ DM Paf pro model). I wouldn't want to make a personal definitive statement, but I believe it was a nice guitar for a beginner, period.
                      Maybe with better adjustments?
                      Last album from Pzlën : REMANENCE on http://www.pzlen.com

Comment

Xochiyl you hit the nail on the head. These were good beginner guitars.

Yes, they be had for peanuts now. However, once you add in new electronics, and trem your getting into Models series money. So why not just buy a model series guitar to begin with?

Comment

True. Good insight guys. I've never played one personally, and I will be sticking to my Models anyway...

Comment

Working...
                          X