a picture and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a picture and a question

OK, how can I identify cx neck if I go to see that ST Custom? Sorry, I really don't know nothing about Charvels except model series a bit, because I own one mod 3 (serial 311***, from '89, right?), and if this ST Custom is anywhere close to mine, it's great guitar. It's strange that on one picture ST Custom has world's ugliest headstock, then other picture shows one with *almost* strat shaped headstock and then there's that soon-to-be-mine-guitar(?) which has strat headstock. I'm completely out!

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
      The first CX Charvels had stratheads. I believe one of our Austrailian JCFrs posted one. They shipped them to europe where the Fender headstock was still legal...
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">my little brother has a cx291 with a strat headstock. nothing to add to this thread, but I wasn't aware that they were rare.

Harrald

Comment

Well, this was around the time that Fender and their lawyers (back when they were the enemy [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) went after everyone who used the strat headstock.

I'd actually like to get my hands on one of these.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
          Wow Tekky..

Everyday is like goin to school around here. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Is there gonna be a pop Quiz? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, tomorrow. Bring your #2 pencil! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(now that I've announced it, it isn't very "pop" is it? )
          Occupy JCF

Comment

The first CX Charvels had stratheads. I believe one of our Austrailian JCFrs posted one.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would be Vic (Genebaby). Picked it up on Ebay earlier this year
            Hail yesterday

Comment

The ST Custom or the ST Deluxe have a rounded triangular shaped headstock. The CX series has either a strat headstock or the "eagle beak" headstock and had the model name printed on it after the Charvel logo. The ST series had a bulkier tremolo whereas the CX series had the vintage tremolo that looked like the ones used on model 1s and standard strats.

All of the "Model" series guitars were made between 1986 and 1988, in 1989 they started using the "toothpaste" logo and gave all of the guitar designs an overhaul and re-naming. (mostly dinky/soloist bodies and new tremolos)
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Wow Tekky..

Everyday is like goin to school around here. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Is there gonna be a pop Quiz? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys, helps me a lot. But if you compare the quality of model and ST guitars, are they close, or do you think that model series is better? This guy who's sellin that St Custom told me, that it cost almost 1000 USD back in early 90's - at least here in Finland, and model series weren't that much, right?

Comment

My thoughts... It's a mutt. CX model neck and ST body.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok, I got some more information once again, strat head with a text Charvel St Custom, doesn't look like a fake, and serial number is 379***

Should be original? Pretty unusual, huh?

Comment

Um Tekky just for clearification sake. Not all the CX's had a vintage trem. I had a CX391 with a JT590lp in chrome. Never went out of tune either. I know I dsaid I'd never sell it but when you can get more than you paid for soemthing why not.
                      Gil

Comment

You are correct. I should have specified models instead of using the CX series as a general term. Thanks for keeping me honest...
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

I`ve just "dug" out my 1992 catalogue which on page 22, has a photo of a Strat headed ST-Custom.
                          They did have however, a white pearloid scratchplate. Here are the specs:
                          Body: Poplar or Ash (on trans finishes)
                          Neck: Eastern Rock Maple
                          Fingerboard: Rosewood
                          Scale: 25.5" 22 Fret
                          Bridge: JT 490 with Roller Nut
                          Controls: Volume, Tone, Mid Boost
                          Electronics: JE-1200 Mid Boost Circuit
                          Pickups: J100 (Bridge X2),J100RW(M),J100(N)
                          Finishes: FR,MB,TR,SW,CS,TA,CB,TS,TBK
                          Also of note, All Strat heads at the time, the STX Custom with Schaller Floyd (JT590) and Reflex Pickups and the ST Deluxe with a JT485 vintage trem. Hope this all helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X