Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum

Hi all,
    i just picked up a Charvel Spectrum. It is like new, ive seen guitars hanging on the wall at Guitar Center with more wear. Does anyone know how can i find out what year it is? The # is 325933

Re: Spectrum

The Spectrum begain in 1989. By 1991 they ceased production. One way to tell the year would be the tremolo. The Jackson JT-6 was in use for most of 1989, so if you have that trem there's a strong chance it's an early one. By late 1989 Charvel begain equipping the Spectrum with the Schaller/Charvel trem. Post a few pics especially showing the tremolo area and we can confirm the date. Unfortunately, the import serial numbers are only a rough guide, but the specs of the instruments are more accurate.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

From the serial number the best guess is that it was made in 1989.

Comment

From what I can tell the JT-6 wasnt used on the Spectrum, The pics in the 89 catalog didn't use one and I'd assume they were early production samples.

The only JT-6 I have seen on an 89 Charvel was on the 275 Deluxe. The 275 also had a strat body instead of a dinky the rest of the lineup used so it looks to me it was the leftover parts model for 89.

Now the Model 8 did use the JT-6 (well the 2 I have seen had it).

Comment

here are a couple pics, the pics are not the best, it was to dark in the room..
          http://www.alteredsoul.org/spectrum.html

thanks for the replies, i am new to the site

Comment

The JT-6 was most definitely on the 89 Spectrums cause I’ve got one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Johno:
              The JT-6 was most definitely on the 89 Spectrums cause I’ve got one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same here. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Got some pics? I never saw one.

Comment

John
                  i have a couple pics posted here, follow this link
                  http://www.alteredsoul.org/spectrum.html

Comment

mine had a jt6 on it too... i've since put a black schaller floyd on it.

the early ones also didn't have the contour/recess around the neck joint area, either.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hotrodder, the 1989 Charvel catalog was printed in the summer, so 1/2 of all the Spectrums from that year were equipped with the JT-6. By the end of 1989 Schaller was the trem of choice. Many Spectrums have the JT-6...Pics show a Schaller on the "Desert Crackle" and a JT-6 on the magenta:
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Is the Spectrum unique in the tones it produces compared to any of the other Charvels made during that period? I enjoy the various "strat" sounds I can pull from mine, unlike my model 6 that does not have the range. Fusion maybe? Thx's
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Yeah the Spectrum has a Mid Frequency sweep, (JE 1500 pre amp) it is like a built in wah pedal hooked to a knob on your guitar with a bypass switch. The pick ups are stacked humbuckers so you get a bit more crunch than it would appear by looking at it.

Comment

Working...
                          X