• Show
Clear All

• How to identify a Predator

How do I do it? Here is what I know.
    Predator always has a toothpaste Charvel logo
    Predator always is hum/sing with a locking trem
    Predator always has a 3 pos slide switch
    Predator is always 22 frets with dots
    Am I right so far? What about the body size? What about the angle of the pickups?
    How do I tell 100% if I am looking at a Predator.

Re: How to identify a Predator

Pull the neck off, it should be stamped!

Comment

I won't be able to pull the neck of of guitars I am looking at online or at the pawn shop.

Comment

I think you've pretty much got it. I would add that the neck pickup is angled, and the body is contoured around the neckplate.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Your almost right! They have a reverse headstock, 5 position selector switch and a sculpeted heel.The lower cut out is also slightly sculpted.I purchased mine new back in 89 or 90.I have read that most of the bodies were basswood and that some of the last ones made were alder.
          Mine is fairly heavy for being basswood,but who knows? A great playng guitar! Except I hate the color: Magenta Yuk! Maybe someday I'll have it refinished.

Comment

Yup, they all have reverse head and 5-way. They are also ALL the Dinky body shape and do not have the lower horn scallop. If it has the scallop I think it's a fusion (in which case I think they all had the angled dual-single ciol in the bridge pos. The 275 DLX had the strat body with the scallop and dual-single thing too (I think) Now I'm confused!!
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

when you say sculpted heel do you mean it is angled where the neck plate is or is there a cavity all around the neck plate? Also, why is there a 5 pos switch for only 2 pickups??

Comment

Sculpted heel is where the heel is actually somewhat "scalloped" in relation to the rest of the back of the guitar.

The predecessor to the Predator is the 3DR which has the guitar logo, 22 fret neck, num-slanted-single, and a 5-way blade switch. You'll notice on the 3DR the wings are shorter than on the current "Dinky" style bodies.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

The Predator was the only (Dinky)strat bodied guitar made with a reverse headstock and the toothpaste logo. That should make it easy enough.

Comment

A Rainbow Crackle Predator was my first Charvel. Bought it new in 90'. Love it one of my favorites.
                    [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                      If it has the scallop I think it's a fusion
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope. There's plenty of Dinkies out there with that little scallop on the lower horn. And not all Fusions have that scallop either. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X