Charvel Journeyman Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel Journeyman Review

I agree with everything you said except the part about a standard non-locking trem being able to dive bomb and remain in tune just as good as a Floyd. EVH couldn't do it with a standard trem, Hendrix couldn't do it and Malmsteen has one of the best techs in the business and he always switches guitars after a heavy whammy system. A Wilkenson with a hipshot set up perfectly with locking Sperzels is close but not close enough. You must reveal you secrets to dive bombing with a standard trem and having it remain in tune. After almost 30 years of shredding I for one can't do it. From the specs you mention, the Journeymen sounds like a fantastic value. It is hard to find any guitar in that price range with real Duncans in it.

Comment

Re: Charvel Journeyman Review

It can be done, but you can't go nuts with the bar either. The strings have to be properly stretched and I usually do a few dry takes to ensure it will stay in tune to work out the kinks. I have one solo in a song (of mine) that has a full dive bomb and return late in the solo, and I have to be in tune to complete the solo. I reluctantly tried using the Jman because I like it's lead tone better than my Fender (Floyd Rose, EMGS) and I finished the solo without a problem. I don't know whether I'd try it on stage, not without pressing my luck further [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

EVH couldn't stay with vintage because he uses the tremolo bar ALOT (more than I do). Yngwie either changes guitars or retunes on stage ala Jimi, Jimmy Page also retunes on stage and incorporates it into a song.

If you use the bar alot and/or you play out the Floyd equipted guitar is probably a better choice for you. For me, I spend most of my time in the studio - either mine or somebody elses so that feature matters less to me. The Model A and up have Floyds as does the Traditional, so there are choices among the new Charvel imports and judging from the Jman I'd check them out if you require a Floyd Rose.

My 2 cents
      Joe

Comment

Working...
      X