Jackson pickup opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson pickup opinions

Hey guys, just wondering what some of the opinions are on the Jackson pickups of the past. For example the J-50B,J-50BC, J-80, J-90 etc. I'm into classic to hard rock/ metal and was wondering what these different models best fit in styles of music and comparison to Seymour Duncan models. Thanks, Bob [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson pickup opinions

Well the J-50 and bc are a lot like a JB not quite as much output.J-80s are a little hotter I just tested one and it read 10.8.The J90s are hotter still I just tested 2 #1 was 12.7 the other 13.6.That was odd! The J-90s are great if you are going for the 80s metal sound.I go fo a darker sound so I like the J-95.I like all the jackson pickups even the import JH series. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a J95 in my Model5a, I love that pickup. It has lots of output and a nice voicing. I like it better than some brand name pickups (i.e Duncan JB). The only complaint I have about it is that it is a little noisy, but it’s an old pickup and may need to be potted.

Comment

I don't like the J50BC, but that is just me, a lot of guys over here like it. It doesn't sound right to me.

Harrald

Comment

I got 2 j80-Cs and they tested 13.88 each, and each coil alone was almost 7. Both pickups have identical outputs.

Comment

Yeah I check all the J series jackson pickups I get and some times they will vary in resistence I guess my J-80 is a little weak.The J95 in question being noisey is the cover on it?Or a break in the ground lead?Mine are very quiet. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

J-90, J95 I think they are both C's. Great pickups for metal. Also, the dual blade hum that looks like a Dimarzio X2N that came on early 90's import Charvels is killer. I don't know what the model # is but it kills. I have one on my 92 Charvel Avenger.

Comment

TIP: If you have a J-90, remove the pickup cover and you'll get a noticeable increase in the output. It's just held on by light glue. Just pry it off, but gently.

EMG's were the hot item at the time, so I suspect that Jackson was going for that covered look.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

The Jb is hotter than the J50B. A JB has a dc resistance of 16.4 usually. And a J50B is usally about 12.0 ish. More like a Custom Custom with more bite. I just put a 86 J50B in my Lightning sky Single hum strat and it sounds God like now.
                  With the Basswood body ( i think it is anyway could be alder but its a darker sounding body). Anyway I had a Duncan Designed H102 (JB copy) in there and it sounded really good. But I wanted to try a real Duncan. So I put in a 80's Duncan Distortion. And it was mud city even after backint the pickup down. This Distortion sounded awesome in my jpn Solosit Std when it was in there I was hoping for a simlar sound but no luck. So then I thought ok the Jackson pups have more bite to them so I was gonna put a J80 in there but one of the height screw holes was bigger than it shouldve been. So i tossed a J50B in there thats from the bridge of my 86 SL2H.
                  Now it sounds like Eddie without trying. And yes that's a good thing for me. so [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  Anyway I Like all the Jackson pups especailly in a darker sounding wood body like basswood to give it some bite and growl.
                  Gil

Comment

I have a 94 Jackson JDX, with the stock pickups still in place.
                    The configuration on the JDX is S/S/H, and my opinion is that the SC:s sounds pretty good, but the Humbucker is by far to weak for my taste.
                    My Model 6 is equipped with SD:s (Not certain what model though), and it totally rips!

//Jonzkij

Comment

I just got a hold of a J-90C for my model 6. I'll give it a try and see what happens and let you guys know. I definitely didnt care for the J-50BC that was in it. It didnt seem to have enough crunch/drive to it. Bob

Comment

I have the J50 & J80 pairing in my Fusion Plus, with a 5-way megaswitch. It's a really versatile setup, a great sounding combination. I wonder sometimes if it mightn't sound better with some "name brand" pickups in it, but I like it so I figure why mess with it?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Exactly VitG. I have aq J50 in the neck of my 750XL and a Custom Custom in the bridge with a 5 way mega switch and it sounds great in any possition.
                          Gil

Comment

I'm with you guys on this, the J50 is a sweet pickup.Its not for everybody but is very versi : tal.Very mellow even on the dirty channel.I used a J50bc with two fender singles on a parts guitar and the customer was quite happy and he play country music.He got his 'strat tone'as well as a fat tone or a "gibby tone"as he puts it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X