Journeyman tremolo is floating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journeyman tremolo is floating

Hi I have the Charvel Journeyman but the vintage bridge appears to be 'floating' off the body slightly. What this means is that when I use the trem, even slightly, everything just goes out of tune. I dont' expect the trem to stay in tune like a floyd rose, but i am retuning like once every couple of minutes which is ridiculous.. anyway, could someone explain to me how to set up my trem so that it doesn't 'float' (assuming this is actually the right way, right?)

thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Journeyman tremolo is floating

Lossen the springs in the back of the guitar by turning the screws in the trem claw counter clockwise. Then tighten the 6 screws on the front edge of the bridge so that the bridge plate is flush with the body. Then tighten the trem claw so that the back edge of the trem is flush with the body. Tune to pitch. If the strings pull the back edge of the bridge forward then tighten the spring claw screws until it is flush again. If you tighten the claw all the wa down and it still isn't flush you will need to add another spring.

Comment

thanks man, ive got it resting just above the body now, but its still going out of tune...

Comment

The Journeyman vibrato is supposed to float and allow you to up-bend the G string using the bar by about a tone or a tone and a half. If the guitar goes out of tune when you use the vibrato arm then it's down to the following:

1) Strings slipping at the machine heads.

2) Wear on the pivot points of the bridge causing the bridge to settle at different positions each time you use the bar.

3) The strings sticking somewhere along their path from the bridge's string block to the machine heads.

4) Strings not stretched-in properly after a string change.

#1 Will happen if you put more than two turns of the string on the machine head. You don't want the string to be wound onto the post like cotton on a bobbin!

#2 Will only happen if you've had the guitar a long time and subjected it to a lot of whammy use, or if you've been adjusting the bridge height screws with the guitar strung and tuned to pitch.

#3 To find out if this is happening, tune the guitar and then play it unamplified. Bend some strings, use the whammy bar. Do you hear any clicking or pinging sounds? If so that's your problem. The strings are catching somewhere along their length. Lubricate the nut slots, string "T" and bridge saddles' contact points with the strings with graphite powder or light machine oil (the stuff you get for sewing machines). If you use the oil be very careful not to get it on the guitar's finish. Wipe off any excess immediately. Keep doingthis 'till the clicks and pings are history.

While I'm on the subject, loosen the string T (that's the retainer the B & E strings run under on their way from the nut to the machine heads) by about two full turns of the screw, raise it up by about 1/8" or so. Having that bugger screwed full down is just asking for those strings to catch on it and go out of tune.

4) Stretch those strings when you change them. After you put a new set on there and have it in tue, abuse the guitar. Do three step bends, check it with a tuner and re-tune, dump the strings to floppy with the whammy and check with the tuner again. Keep doing this 'till the damn thing stays in tune. Do this without an amp so you can hear any clicks and pings and see step #3 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers - Steve
        Model 3
        Model 5A
        Model 3B
        Journeyman
        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

hey thanks! you know your guitars heh

well i think that the answer is string slipping at the machine heads, maybe i need to replace them

thanks, i also loosened the string 'T' on the headstock [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I struggled with Strat style whammy bars for years until I read an article telling you how to set the bloody things up properly back in about '81![list=1]Back in my day we didn't have no fancy locking whammy bars, we had to make do with 'em as Leo intended</old cummudgeon> [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Have you tried adjusting the machine head tension? There's an adjustment screw at the end of the tuner peg, there might be a little too much slack that's allowing them to slip.

There's a great web site somewhere that describes various methods of winding the string around the machine head to reduce slippage. Damned if I can remmember where it is though!

- Steve
            Model 3
            Model 5A
            Model 3B
            Journeyman
            Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Yep I've just tightened the screws on the machine heads as you said, i'll see how it goes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                Lossen the springs in the back of the guitar by turning the screws in the trem claw counter clockwise. Then tighten the 6 screws on the front edge of the bridge so that the bridge plate is flush with the body.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, the Journeyman DOES NOT have a "vintage" trem with 6 screws. It's a two-point fulcrum trem. He'd have to lower the two pivot posts and then tighten or add springs.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X