Hello and questions..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and questions..........

Ok, I just bought a Charvel and I know nothing about it, other than its a Ft. Worth, single Jackson covered HB, one knob with the Jackson trem like a floyd.

What year? SN 302805

What is the body made of?

its blue. What is the official color?
    looks like a lake placid blue sort.

Anything to be wary of?

Re: Hello and questions..........

What does the logo look like? Is it script or guitar-shaped. Sounds like a Model 2 in Metallic blue. From that serial number, that would make it a late one....'88 or so. The body would be basswood.
    Dana <~~~
    '85 Rhoads Custom
    '86 SD Str*t
    '86 Model 4 (5)
    '87 Model 1
    '87 Model 6
    '88 Model 3DR
    '90 650 XL
    '94 KE-3
    '97 DR Amberburst
    '97 Dinky BOFlames
    '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

You have a Charvel Model 2. Blue is one of the factory colors that it came with. The body is made of basswood.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

thanks dana,

The logo is guitar shaped. RW board, nice guitar.

Any history on these things?

I am happy with it so far, i paid 100US OTD, w/ gigbag.

Its pawnshop dirty, but seems to be in excellent to VG shape.

who made the jackson pickup? I plan to spend sunday cleaning and restringing and setting it up a bit. plays great, sounds good too!

Comment

thanks TEKKY!

i'm quite a newbie when it comes to jackson/charvel.

I recently missed a bright yellow Tele shape.

cool guitar but it looked to have some issues so I let her slide.

Comment

Those were made from '86-'88 in Japan. You got a good deal on it at $100 US. I sold mine last year, and very much wish I still had it. Mine had an EMG installed with a mid-boost, and it sounded killer! I sold it to another forum member.

The necks on those things are great, and if you like the neck, you'll also like the necks on the Model 1,3, and 4, as they are identical. The Model 1 is the only model without a locking trem and nut. Also, the metallic blue color is not as common as the other colors it came in. Most were red, black, or white.
            Dana <~~~
            '85 Rhoads Custom
            '86 SD Str*t
            '86 Model 4 (5)
            '87 Model 1
            '87 Model 6
            '88 Model 3DR
            '90 650 XL
            '94 KE-3
            '97 DR Amberburst
            '97 Dinky BOFlames
            '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Any history on these things?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah, the Model 2, they've got a big history, at least with me, as this was my first new electric guitar I bought way back when, and I still have it and play it.

I think the placid blue color is offically called "Electric blue" on the Model 2's. BTW, mine is "Pearl white" which, over the past 15+ years, is now more of a creme/vintage white.
              There's another shade of blue on the Models 4,5,and 6 that was called Cobalt blue.

The 2 came with a J-90C humbucker in it, a decently high-output pickup, but not insanely high-output. All the Jackson-labeled pickups from this era were supposedly made in the US by the Jackson company. I'm not sure if they sub-contracted this out to another company.

Oh, and the body of the Model 1,2,3 and 4 is made of basswood.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Wow. This is almost spooky. I bought this Model 2 from a pawn shop a little over a year ago for $100.00 out the door (case not included, I brought it from home):

This pic makes it look a lot more green than it does in the flesh. It's a nice, even blue.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

WoW! powertube!!!

thats the pic all right.

Wel, i cleaned her up this weekend. It was pretty grungy and set her up with a fresh set of 9's.
                  (yeah i used to use 10's and 11's but as i approach geezer status, i'll take easier any day)

And yeah, besides a few minor dings, its almost like new.
                  Mine DOES look kinda greenish on the lower horn too, almost like a flip-flop.

After tweaking the action a tad, it plays great.
                  I love Japanese guitars, ralllly I do!!!!

Comment

Telefreak,

Yeah, the one in that pic is about 1 hour removed from the pawn shop. It had heavy strings (possibly 11's or bigger) and slight indents where someone had fretted an open E chord a LOT!
                    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So, I cleaned it up, polished the frets, removed the "Jackson" pickup cover, and put on a set of Ernie Ball Slinkies in 9-42. It plays like a dream now.
                    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Sheesh......

our guitars are doppelgangers then.
                      I have to laugh when i see a used guitar like this, with big strings and "cowboy chord" fretwear.

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

strummers... on shred guitars [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X