Help! What is this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! What is this!

I have been talking to a local pawn shop about a Charvel import they have in stock, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is!

Specs: (as given to me)

- Neck-Thru w/ black headstock w/ white Charvel Logo
    - Non-trem
    - Resewood fretboard with shark fins
    - 3 knobs
    - 2HB, 1 single Jackson pickups
    - 5-way switch
    - Serial # 70715

Price is $300CDN, sounds intersting, but I don't know what it is! And I have a 30-45 min. drive to look at it.

Which Charvel had this p/u configuration?

Re: Help! What is this!

Many had that config... But none had that bridge as well.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

The only thing that the store guy was sure of was the serial number.

What would 70715 indicate? I thought all the neck thru guitars were C****** serial numbers?

Comment

Was he looking at the guitar??? There are a couple of topics about 5-digit serial numbers, but I don't believe that they were imports.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

He was looking at it, but I can assure you, he knows NOTHING about guitars. I had to describe the pickups as "two fingers wide" vs "one finger wide" to figure out if they were humbuckers vs. singles.

I asked him if it was a black headstock, with the white Charvel (by Jackson) logo, and he confirmed this, so I asssume it is an import.

Were there any Charvel neck-thrus that are not imports? I thought they all were imports.

I am suspicious that he is probably wrong on the bridge configuration, but the rest is still puzzling to me.

Comment

Well, going by the description of HSS config, neck-thru, three knobs, and a 5-way blade switch - I'd say that it's a 675XL.

It has a Schaller on it though, and it is the script logo and the headstock would be black if the body is black. (matching body/headstock)

Since he's not a guitar guy by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure he wouldn't be able to tell if the guitar itself has been modded.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
              Well, going by the description of HSS config, neck-thru, three knobs, and a 5-way blade switch - I'd say that it's a 675XL.

It has a Schaller on it though, and it is the script logo and the headstock would be black if the body is black. (matching body/headstock)

Since he's not a guitar guy by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure he wouldn't be able to tell if the guitar itself has been modded.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, I re-read your initial post... Two humbuckers??? I don't believe any Charvel had that config at all. Again, my last paragraph seems to be a major factor on this one.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Todd, it's actually "650" and not "675." Also, there were infact dual hum Charvels, you know the 750 was such a beast. And I believe there were some older Model guitars (some variation on the Model 3) that had a pair of humbuckers. Also, for the Japanese market only, there were many dual hum Charvels. I have the 1991 catalog for that exclusive market and it's got some nice Charvels like that. Also, some of those neck throughs from that market did not include the letter "C" in front of the serial number, but I've not heard of a 5 digit, only 6, even on those.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

LOL... I interrogated the owner of the store further. There's a good reason I could not figure out which guitar this was... because it's a bass.

I almost fell off my seat laughing. If this guy can't tell a bass from a guitar, I haev no idea how he prices anything. Good luck to him... I hope his business survives, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                    Todd, it's actually "650" and not "675." Also, there were infact dual hum Charvels, you know the 750 was such a beast. And I believe there were some older Model guitars (some variation on the Model 3) that had a pair of humbuckers. Also, for the Japanese market only, there were many dual hum Charvels. I have the 1991 catalog for that exclusive market and it's got some nice Charvels like that. Also, some of those neck throughs from that market did not include the letter "C" in front of the serial number, but I've not heard of a 5 digit, only 6, even on those.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I stand corrected, you're right. I meant to say/type 650 there seems to be a brain/finger failure happening with me.

But, he did say it was a HSH neck-thru. That rules out anything lower than 5xx. But this is all for naught... It's a bass.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                    X